Anyone know something about personal injury law?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
A friend of mine got injured in a car crash a couple years ago and screwed up her back. She consulted a shitty attorney who told her to settle for a sum of cash and some medical treatment. However, now her back is as bad as ever and she's wondering if there's any further legal action she could take -- not to get money, but to pay for treatment, or is she screwed since she reached a settlement?

*edit*

Changed to represent the fact that she talked to an attorney who said they probably couldn't do much for her, so she ended up settling on her own.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It depends on how the settlement was stuctured. Most of them have a clause that prevents any other claims after the settlement. She could get another attorney to review the settlement but her chances are slim to none.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Why don't you read the settlement. Chances are it has a f"final legal and binding" clause or something to that effect...

I am no lawyer, but you/she is probably screwed

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac
A friend of mine got injured in a car crash a couple years ago and screwed up her back. She had a shitty attorney who managed to get her to settle for a sum of cash and some medical treatment. However, now her back is as bad as ever and she's wondering if there's any further legal action she could take -- not to get money, but to pay for treatment, or is she screwed since she reached a settlement?

I am not a lawyer in anyway, shape or form but her new attorney would probably have to prove that her old attorney really screed up. Ask her if she signed a paper that stated something to the affect that they will not be liable for anything after they pay her the settlement money.