Anyone know of a way to auto forward text messages from an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by lokiju, Nov 19, 2009.

1. lokiju

lokiju Lifer

I got a Moto Droid and it was easy enough to forward my phone calls from my iPhone (3G) to my Droid's number, even works when the iPhone is turned off, which is a nice touch.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to accomplish the same thing with text messages though?

2. ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy Diamond Member

Probably not. If you had a Google Voice account you would probably have an easier time. You would be paying double to take the message and send it along.

3. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

The only way that I know how to do this is with Google Voice, or another 3rd party SMS service like TextFree.

4. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Lifer

There are no phones that I know of that can forward SMS. Essentially it would need to be a network supported feature, like forwarding calls, but it isn't and probably never will be.

5. lokiju

lokiju Lifer

Google Voice is the hole reason I'm holding onto this phone service and just forwarding everything to my Droid.

I have my personal phone number I've had for years on my work paid for iPhone but since I read that Google Voice will next year allow people to port their phone numbers to Google Voice, I'm holding onto the plan until that's a reality.

Oh well, will just have to tell people to text a different phone number for now if they want to get me.

6. li21

li21 Junior Member

I know this is a bit of an old thread.. but its definitely possible to do.

Nokia (symbian OS) have an app called SMS Forwarder and it works a treat.. Just put in an source no. and destination no.(s) and it will simply automatically forward on SMS as you receive them .. works in seconds.

I use this to forward certain SMS to large groups of people.. you can black list or white list certain keywords etc..

I havent found ANYTHING like this for iPhone.. I can't believe with all the junk out there on the app store... no one has come up with anything like this..

This is the only reason I can't make the switch to iPhone as I need this sort of app for business..
    Not to mention there is still no Lotus Notes sync solution..

7. ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy Diamond Member

You may be able to talk to AT&T and see what they can do for you.

8. vshah

vshah Lifer

unless you text many many different people often, the simplest solution is to tell people to text your GV number.

9. Patranus

Patranus Diamond Member

10. li21

li21 Junior Member

I think we are missing the point of this..

For me, I don't want to forward ALL SMS. Certainly not personal messages I might receive.

I receive SMS from an automated service that can only have 1 recipient.

This message needs to be broadcast to many users..

With the Symbian App I have full control of who gets forwarded the message.. and when to or not to forward if certain keywords exist in the message.

It happens instantenously so even if I am asleep, the message will get passed on.

#10 li21, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  11. kramerica099

kramerica099 Junior Member

There are phones that can easily forward text messages, they are just android phones and apps. This is exactly why I hate Iphone, they control everything and are in the pockets of the cell providers. Open source is the only way to go and that is why I will pay money to have a droid phone rather than use the free phone my company gives me. Why all the lemmings are into Iphone is just beyond me.