anyone know much about portable bluetooth speakers?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i ended up getting a logitech UE boom yesterday cause i needed one for a party this weekend and walmart had it on sale for $120. i had heard one last year and it sounded pretty good.

i used it last night and yes it sounds great. however there is not much "boom" to it at all as the name would suggest. but it does sound very sharp/clear. i just expected a little bit more after reading reviews.

i'm curious if anyone has heard the bose mini soundlink, and if anyone has ever compared the two. i'm just wondering if it would be worth it to use this over the weekend then return it and grab one of those instead. it does appear that they do have some bass to them from what i've read.

or am i just looking too much into being able to get bassy sound out of a small portable bluetooth speaker lol? i just have no experience with these things really so kind of wondering if people have used multiple ones and how they compare.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If you want bass you need a big speaker. Can't deny the laws of physics....

oh i know. trust me, i have 2 18s that are nearly 150lbs a piece in my ht.

i'm just wondering if any of the OTHER types of models have any better bass than what the UE boom has, and if it's significant.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I've been pretty impressed with my sister's Sony SRS-X7. The thing is almost the weight of a brick. Might be a out of your price range though.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
i ended up getting a logitech UE boom yesterday cause i needed one for a party this weekend and walmart had it on sale for $120. i had heard one last year and it sounded pretty good.

i used it last night and yes it sounds great. however there is not much "boom" to it at all as the name would suggest. but it does sound very sharp/clear. i just expected a little bit more after reading reviews.

i'm curious if anyone has heard the bose mini soundlink, and if anyone has ever compared the two. i'm just wondering if it would be worth it to use this over the weekend then return it and grab one of those instead. it does appear that they do have some bass to them from what i've read.

or am i just looking too much into being able to get bassy sound out of a small portable bluetooth speaker lol? i just have no experience with these things really so kind of wondering if people have used multiple ones and how they compare.

If you're open to the portable part being limited to AC access I can't recommend highly enough the PeachTree Audio Deep Blue II. Weighs about 16lbs.

I recently used it while "stay"cationing at a house with a 1/4 acre backyard and pool area and the Deep Blue had enough bass to easily fill that area. Smaller areas like a garage or smaller deck and there's more than enough bass.

It is $400, but I use it ALL the time. In the kitchen, on my deck, in my garage, in the driveway, bedroom etc.... Sound quality is top notch all around.

Best money I've spent on an audio product.

I do have a full Klipsch Refernce II 5 channel surround (RF62 tower based), SVS PC12+ and Def Tech SC8000 in a 1600 cubic ft room, yet when I take a nap in that room I usually put the Deep Blue on the floor and use it rather than Airplay through my main system. I like it that much.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah i think $400 is more than i want to spend for this type of product.

i used it today while i was cleaning up my backyard and i actually really liked it. the "not much bass" thing didn't bug me at all to be honest, and it was a good loudness as well and i didn't even have it up all the way.

i really like that it is like 360 degrees sound. you could hear it the same pretty much whereever i was in the yard and i had it kind of in the middle area on a column.

going to use it tomorrow for a party and if it's good enough for me tomorrow, i'll just keep it.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I've been pretty impressed with my sister's Sony SRS-X7. The thing is almost the weight of a brick. Might be a out of your price range though.

Daughter has a Sony BTX 300 and I have a BTX 500. The BTX 500 puts out considerably more bass but still, these are portable speakers. Used they can be had for under $150 now and are one of the loudest/best sounding portable speakers out there.

We think the solution is buying something like the Sony Sony RDHGTK37IP but you have to have a power-source as it has no battery.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I recently bought this Denon and am overall impressed. It has a lot of bass response due to the big speaker in the centre, maybe a little too much if you are close to it but it evens out if you are listening to it from over a meter or so away.

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
I have a UE boom and for the price it can't be beat. The Sony SRS series are nice but they aren't waterproof and battery life is so so. Also with the UE you can pair 2 of them together.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah we used the ue boom at our party saturday and it was definitely perfect. had many people asking me wtf it was. it's incredible how many people are like "is that a pill?" because of how great beats markets.

NarrowTech

Jul 20, 2015

The UE Boom is excellent based on durability and battery life, so it's good for outdoor usage etc... But since you want some good sound, the bose mini soundlinke sure dominates. Here's a pretty good comparison between the two Bluetooth speakers. Hope it helps.

bransylow

Jul 27, 2015
I used to borrow my friend's logitech UE Boom and now I use the Bose SoundLink as well as the Nakamichi BTSP80. My opinions comparing these:
1) The Bose Mini SoundLink is my favorite in my opinion, but is also the most expensive (although only slightly more expensive). It has an excellent design and very intuitive/user-friendly. It gives off a pretty impressive bass, and at the same time maintains great clarity of sound. You can still hear the high notes very clearly. The UE Boom also sounds great but I personally prefer the Bose.
2) You might want to try out the Nakamichi BTSP80. It was given to me as a gift and initially I was skeptical. But I was impressed with the sound tuning of it, wherein the overall sound is very balanced. It is the cheapest out of the 3 but in my opinion it is on par with the UE Boom in terms of the sound that it produces.
3) For outdoor usage, the Bose Mini SoundLink definitely loses to the UE Boom (unless you buy your Bose Mini SoundLink a protective casing). Like the UE Boom, which is built with a rubber casing, the Nakamichi BTSP80 is also very suitable for outdoor usage.
4) I think the type of bluetooth speakers that would suit you really depends on the type of music that you usually listen to. I listen to a good mix of EDM as well as heavy/rock music, so the bass to me is really important! So maybe that is why I like the Bose Mini SoundLink a lot. But that is just my personal preference :)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
UE boom is great. I've zip tied mine to a cooler on an inner tube and blasted tunes floating down a river. You can also link several of them together. And the app support is outstanding.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
used the UE boom all week at the beach last week and it owned. glad i got it. battery life on it was great, we were out there for hours on end and it held up fine.

paired with the hawaiian reggae station at the beach was paradise.