Anyone Know How to Winterize Bermuda Grass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Caveman, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

I live in northern Alabama and it gets "cold" here in the winter (can reach sub zero for a few days a year)... Looking for tips about how to get my Bermuda grass ready for winter... Specifically, how do I make the last cut? Should I let it be especially long to protect the roots, or cut it short to promote new growth. I've heard both opinions from self proclaimed "landscaping experts"... I've even heard of some people setting fire to their yards to promote better growth the following year, although I can't do this because of local burning ordinances, etc...

Any advice?

2. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

3. shiner

shiner Lifer

Use some of this and just cut your grass normally. That's what my Dad always did to his yard, Bermuda grass, when I was growing up and since buying a house I have done the same to my front and side yards since they are Bermuda(back yard is K31 Fescue) and I've never had a problem and my yard looks great. One of my neighbors is the type who believes in leaving the grass long in the winter, but I've never noticed a difference between his yard and mind. Well except for the fact that mine has less weeds in the spring since I use a weed control in the fall/winter and he doesn't apply one until spring.

4. UNCjigga

UNCjigga Lifer

Ask your local country club?

5. all168

all168 Senior member

6. Caveman

Caveman Platinum Member

Great help all... Thanks!

7. stormbv

stormbv Diamond Member

Roundup would take care of that grass. :p