Anyone know how to spin cock a lever action?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
This is one trick I really wanna learn, but afraid to try. I think I'm either gonna break my face or break my fingers.....

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Or shoot your shoulder off as the rifle passes underneath? :p Good luck. If you figure it out without breaking your fingers off, take some shots at a 15 yard target and take a video or some pics. :)

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: oniq
Huh? Spin cock?

Take a lever action rfiel. Now, to reload after shooting you literally spin the gun in a circle rather then just moving the lever. Its a John Wayne shooting trick thing, you see them do it alot in western movies while riding horses.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: oniq
Huh? Spin cock?

Take a lever action rfiel. Now, to reload after shooting you literally spin the gun in a circle rather then just moving the lever. Its a John Wayne shooting trick thing, you see them do it alot in western movies while riding horses.

It's usually done when one-handed-shooting is the only option and a pistol isn't available.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
If you mean work the action one handed, yeah, I can do that with my Henry carbine. Some how I dont think it is too good for the gun, though, since you really got to get it spinning to go all the way, and the sudden stop doesnt seem like it promotes future functioning of the firearm. So I dont do it much anymore.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mookow
If you mean work the action one handed, yeah, I can do that with my Henry carbine. Some how I dont think it is too good for the gun, though, since you really got to get it spinning to go all the way, and the sudden stop doesnt seem like it promotes future functioning of the firearm. So I dont do it much anymore.

Well, could you make a slow mo video, or even just a quick video? I can on ehand reload my lever actions by snapping them forward then back (Essentially levering the gun rather then the lever) but I KNOW it puts a helluva lot of stress on my levers as well as my hands. The spin cock looks like it would cut down alot on the stress since the motion is circular.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

Well, could you make a slow mo video, or even just a quick video? I can on ehand reload my lever actions by snapping them forward then back (Essentially levering the gun rather then the lever) but I KNOW it puts a helluva lot of stress on my levers as well as my hands. The spin cock looks like it would cut down alot on the stress since the motion is circular.

No webcam, sorry. No digital camera, for that matter. But if you ship me yours... :p

JediJeb

Jul 20, 2001
Well I know that for one thing you really need the large loop lever like John Wayne had or a very tiny hand or you are going to rip your fingers off. Also I believe when he does it in the movie it goes under his arm so you need the short barrel like he had also. There is a special model that is a replica of the one used in Rooster Cogburn which would work. Actually that trick is exactly why his gun had the large hand loop. I have actually done a fast cock on my leveraction by working the action one handed while the gun itself remains relatively stationary, it takes quick hand movement but isnt as bad on the hand or the gun.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I have a Winchester John Wayne .32/.40 with the rounded lever. I've considered trying it on many occasions, but visions of looking at my teeth laying on the floor have prevented it :D

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I have a Winchester John Wayne .32/.40 with the rounded lever. I've considered trying it on many occasions, but visions of looking at my teeth laying on the floor have prevented it :D

They'll only reach the floor if you puke, because if you screw up, you'll end up eating'em.

:p

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

They'll only reach the floor if you puke, because if you screw up, you'll end up eating'em.

LOL!

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

LOL!

You laugh now only because you havent seen people do it...

Cops at the range are such entertainment.