Anyone know how to fix hot water problems?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
My apt has no hot water. If i call the company in charge, they will not send someone out till tomorrow. i really need to take a shower now. Anyone know how I can fix this now?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
You're going to have to give a lot more information than just saying "I have hot water problems" if you want help.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I don't mind, but my gf does.

Originally posted by: BigJ
You're going to have to give a lot more information than just saying "I have hot water problems" if you want help.

what else can i say? I do not have hot water.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
how big are the pipes? maybe the pipe is clogged? whats the water heaters elevation in relation to the spickets?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
I don't mind, but my gf does.

Originally posted by: BigJ

what else can i say? I do not have hot water.

My advice:

Use someone else's shower before you either:
1. Hurt yourself
2. Break something and wind up costing yourself a lot of money

A start would be identifying what type of water heater you have.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Goto the public swimming pool, boil some water and wash, get a room at a motel/hotel, or call some friend & ask if you can use their shower.

You can't fix the problem, because it is likely that the access to the mechanical/HWT room is lock.

If you have access to the HWT, then check the breaker panel to make sure the power is on (electric HWT).

Or, check the pilot light to see if it out (gas HWT). Re light the pilot with start nob at pilot position, and it may take a minute or 2 at depressing the start button to flush the line with gas. Push electronic igniter rapidly several times to ignite the pilot flame(if it have an electronic igniter), or use a lighter to light the pilot if it have a manual starter.

Then turn the start button to on to start the burner after letting the pilot burn for 2 minutes.

[add]
Check the flame to see if there is an even flame (steady motion & formation), make sure the flame is blue & no hint of yellowing.

The burner may need to be service, igniter may need to be replace, or thermocouple needed to be replace.

Oops, almost forgot, back track the gas line from HWT to the meter & make sure all gas cock/valve are on (on is parallel to the piping).

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
All I know is that the water heater is heated by gas. I do have access to water heater in the basement (door is never locked).

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
All I know is that the water heater is heated by gas. I do have access to water heater in the basement (door is never locked).

Since you're in an apartment, I'm going to HIGHLY advise against doing any self-maintenance.

That being said, refer here for some troubleshooting:
http://www.chilipepperapp.com/troubleg.htm

Honestly, do yourself a favor and wait till morning. If you have a gym membership, go shower there.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Do what i did when we was having hot water problems. Had to take a cold shower for acouple days...

Start exercising till you start sweating than jump in a cold shower and wash yourself QUICK.

Note: The water still will be freezing cold no matter what you do. My advice only makes it alittle more comfy (not much)