Anyone know how to digitally transfer a LaserDisc movie to a PC?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The title says it all. I'm looking to transfer some LaserDiscs to my PC so I can convert them to DivX or whatever format I'd like. Anyone know how to do this?

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
Laserdisc video is analog, so there is no way to digitally transfer it. A capture card like the ATi AIW series will work fine.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Hmmm, I thought they were digital. I guess I'll have a to get a REALLY nice capture card. I want these transfers to be EXTEMELY close to the original's quality.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
I've hooked my laserdisc player to my video card and imported it that way.

It was a long time ago, though.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Maybe you can goto a professional video editing store and have them transfer it to a DVD. I think there's shops that'll do it.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
xerosleep, my guess is the original Star Wars trillogy.

In the begining I used a Pinacle dc1000 capture card and Adobe Premeire to do Laser transfers. I have found the stand alone Panasonic DVDR recorders to do a equaly good job without out all the hassle. Also your going to loose the AC3 track unless you have a heavy duty pc with a pro sound card and Pro Tools to sync up the 5.1 mix with the video.
To the rest of the posters, There is alot of films titles on laser disc that is not availble on DVD and probally wont be released to DVD. I alone have over 10,000 laser disc's that are not on DVD yet in any region.