Anyone know how Rush Limbaugh and similar types are spinning this historic loss?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm curious how Limbaugh and his dittoheads are doing.

I've heard some smart Republicans recognizing how the corrupt, borrow-and-spend, big budget chickenhawks took over the party and how the party has to go back to small government and traditional values.

But how are the talking heads spinning this one?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Infohawk

I've heard some smart Republicans recognizing how the corrupt, borrow-and-spend, big budget chickenhawks took over the party and how the party has to go back to small government and traditional values.

That's what they've ALWAYS been saying. They've never been "Big government, George."

;)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It took about 2 days for the republicans to realize that. It took 12 years for the Dems to realize that they stood for "Option B" :laugh: And most of the dems elected are moderates...gonna be interesting in 08.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: gclg2000
i guess you could listen to Rush to find out?

I searched the AM dials for a little bit this morning... but then I went back to NPR to listen to the previously mentioned "smart" Republicans.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Hannity is PISSED. But he's a day behind. Took his lead from Oxycontin boy.

Bill Bennet sounded like his dog died, his wife left him for a Muslim lesbian and his son announced he was a gay communist. :laugh:

Medved (still hiding in the closet and under an atrocious hairpiece) ignored the election today and focused on Affirmative Action in Michigan. :roll:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Historic loss? You've obviously never seen what happens to a President during the mid-terms. Think 1994 and Clinton, if you can go back that far.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My wife tuned in today---she said Rush was talking about the south-beach diet.

But I think Rush and Fox News are having this big epiphany---as hard as they talked up GWB---they were just plain ignored by the bulk of the American people.
And with a sense of total shock---they feel kicked in the teeth also---and are now totally baffled about how they should proceed in future.

But I trust they will regain their footing---redefine events to vindicate themselves---and be the same old polarizing idiots they always were.

With one joker in the deck---Rupert Murdock may decide to change political stance after backing the wrong horse---and leave Rush---proudly--supremely--- alone.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: alchemize
It took about 2 days for the republicans to realize that. It took 12 years for the Dems to realize that they stood for "Option B" :laugh: And most of the dems elected are moderates...gonna be interesting in 08.

QFT

Despite what many on this board believe, everyone did not turn into a bunch of Michael Moore wannabes this election cycle. This was a referendum on Bush, the Iraq war, and the desire to return to a two party government, which I am all for. If the loony libs try and take over the party from the more moderates then you guys are going to have a problem in 2 years.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Historic loss? You've obviously never seen what happens to a President during the mid-terms. Think 1994 and Clinton, if you can go back that far.

It was a historic loss. Not only did democrats win greater than 25 house seats and 6 senate seats, republicans couldn't even manage to win one new seat in either chamber which has never happened. The party that that lost a ton of seats still always managed to win a few back, not this year.

Add in the fact that the house is heavily gerrymandered meaning less total seats were in play and that the democrats had to defend more seats in the senate than the republicans make what happened a complete long shot. That's what makes it historic.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SViscusi

It was a historic loss. Not only did democrats win greater than 25 house seats and 6 senate seats, republicans couldn't even manage to win one new seat in either chamber which has never happened. The party that that lost a ton of seats still always managed to win a few back, not this year.

Add in the fact that the house is heavily gerrymandered meaning less total seats were in play and that the democrats had to defend more seats in the senate than the republicans make what happened a complete long shot. That's what makes it historic.

It's like Dems have some super majority or anything, they have 1 more seat in the senate and 30 more seats in the house...Republicans had a bigger majority comparatively last session.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ntdz

It's like Dems have some super majority or anything, they have 1 more seat in the senate and 30 more seats in the house...Republicans had a bigger majority comparatively last session.

They shouldn't have a majority at all. With as few seats in play as there were it was an incredible long shot that they were able to do what they did.

Edit to add:

Look I know the meme that republicans are trying to push is that it wasn't a big win blah blah blah. The simple fact of the matter is that the Democrats won control of both chambers of Congress and considering the campaigning abilities of both parties it's the equivalent of a team of retarded midgets beating an NBA All-Star team. It doesn't matter if it's by 5 or 50 it was huge.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It's funny watching all the cons backpedaling as fast as their little legs will carry them.

Too bad voters had to bitch slap the entire party for them to remember there's still some accountability.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz

They shouldn't have a majority at all. With as few seats in play as there were it was an incredible long shot that they were able to do what they did.

Edit to add:

Look I know the meme that republicans are trying to push is that it wasn't a big win blah blah blah. The simple fact of the matter is that the Democrats won control of both chambers of Congress and considering the campaigning abilities of both parties it's the equivalent of a team of retarded midgets beating an NBA All-Star team. It doesn't matter if it's by 5 or 50 it was huge.

I'm not saying it wasn't a big win, it was. But it was expected by just about everyone...the Republicans had their time, it's now the Democrats' turn. Who knows how long it'll last. Republicans can easily take back the senate in 08 depending on how things go in the next 2 years...or they could regress even more.

Jun 27, 2005
No spin, just history...

The president's party almost always loses seats in the mid-terms. More-so in the sixth year mid-term. The loss on Tuesday was about average by historical standards. Turns out the average was enough to tip the scales on both sides of congress this time around.

The Dems pulled off their victory by running conservative candidates against the Rs in the hopes that disaffected Rs wouldn't mind voting D so long as the candidate wasn't counter to their core beliefs. An excellent strategy on their part but it does leave them with a rather large crop of DINOs. Something they will have to deal with later on to satisfy their base.

As to what the right wing talking heads are saying about it... I'm sure they are pointing to the 7 of 8 DOMA initiatives that overwhelmingly passed... Michigan's rejection of affirmative action... The universal passing of property rights protection from immenant domain laws in nine states... In other words, the electorate is still leaning to the right. The vote on Tuesday was a slam on the Rs for their total lack of leadership, their total lack of fiscal responsibility, their bumbling in Iraq... In other words... their complete failure to be the republicans that mainstream conservatives expect them to be.

And while the Ds managed to take back control of congress they don't have much of a mandate nor do they have a solid hold on power beyond the next two years. the electorate didn't reject conservative ideals... far from it. They just carefully chose a carefully chosen crop of candidates designed to appeal specifically to them.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Eh? Hmm... Looking at the Senatorial pickups, anyway -

We got Tester in MT - Flaming social libertarian (wants Patriot Act repealed), populist, progressive. Purely grassroots candidate.

Brown in OH - another big time populist progressive candidate.

Webb - Populist, social moderate. another grassroots candidate.

Whitehouse - flamin' lib, but hey, it's RI.

McCaskill - Pro-choice, pro-stem cell research, another populist.

Casey - the only one in the bunch that's much of a conservative (he's pro-life) - Still a populist - Santorum was so unpopular in PA that Bernie Sanders could probably have run there and beat him. PA could have been more aggressive in their Dem candidate choice.

Who out of the "Big Seven" possible Dem pickup races lost? Harold Ford, who tried to out-conservative his opponent Bob Corker.

SD shot down a referendum on banning abortion.

There are a couple issues Dems need to stop kicking around - Gun Control is a loser and Dems are starting to get it (Tester is a fine example), gay marriage is something the country isn't entirely ready for, but seems to be willing to leave up to individual states rather than a national ban.

Back to the point, I don't think this election proved that "America is Conservative" by a long shot. I thik it proved that America in aggregate is pretty middle of the road, the GOP veered hard right the last few years and tried to drag the country along with it, but lost the center. Believe whatever you want about the lunacy of the Dem Party base, but the GOP went all out to sell that point this time, and failed.

('Cos it ain't true.)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

a loss yes! historic,,,,hardly!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

It was NOT historic.......sheese....a loss yes---historic nope

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I caught O'Reilly briefly last night. He and his guest were lamenting that were are on the verge of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in Iraq, especially because we are on the verge of success there, killing thousands of terrorists (their words). In other words, no change, same old spin.

I'm expecting a whole new wave of hysterical anti-Hillary chest thumping from Rush, O'Reilly, et al. in the near future.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Topic Title: Anyone know how Rush Limbaugh and similar types are spinning this historic loss?

Just look at The Professor's posts, they are exact talking points of Rush, Hannity etc.

None of them are taking responsibility, none of them are admitting how Republicans destroyed America including the resident Republicans.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I like how Rush said he's not going to carry the water for Conservatives who don't deserve, conservatives who don't have the courage to be Conservatives. Actually he's wrong, it's too much pandering to the base that has caused this to happen, this and the war. People are fed up with it, even the evangelicals are tired of being used as tools.

It takes a lot of courage to campaign on complete BS, or try to claim that we've found WMD in Iraq like Santorum, it's 'courage/foolishness' to a fault.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm not really interesting in getting into a semantic debate about what historic means, but the loss was historic. Yes, everyone knows the president's party frequently loses seats. Nevertheless, the 1994 switch was historic. They even call it the Republican Revolution. 2006 is likewise historic.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
" And most of the dems elected are moderates...gonna be interesting in 08."

Horsesh!t. From a Salon article-

"Never mind the fact that the Democrats' victory will result in leadership posts for some of the most liberal members of the party; when actually broken down quantitatively, the number of liberal and conservative freshmen Democrats elected on Tuesday puts the lie to this running theme.

Media Matters for America, the liberal press watchdog, has already documented the political proclivities of 27 of the new Democrats in Congress; MMA restricted its analysis to those who defeated incumbent Republicans or took over open seats previously held by Republicans. It found: "All 27 candidates support raising the minimum wage. All 27 candidates advocate changing course in Iraq. All 27 candidates oppose efforts to privatize Social Security. Only two of the 27 candidates do not support embryonic stem cell research. Only five of the 27 candidates describe themselves as 'pro-life.'"

An analysis by Salon has found that the other freshmen Democrats predominantly hold liberal views as well; for example, there's Illinois' Phil Hare, who will replace his former boss, liberal Democrat Lane Evans, and ran on a platform of being little different from Evans in policy terms; Keith Ellison, taking over for a retiring Democrat in Minnesota, who will become the first Muslim member of Congress and has been compared to liberal hero Paul Wellstone; and John Sarbanes, who inherits his liberal politics from his father, outgoing Maryland Democratic Sen. Paul Sarbanes."

This blather about the election being a conservative victory is just another attempt to create their own reality by the right fringe. Their wingnut agenda has taken a torpedo amidships, and they're rearranging the deck chairs... Goin' down, boys, you're goin' down...