Anyone know how much cable and internet installers make like at ATT

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Just wondering because where I am working now has yet again started to become unstable, I am currenlty working at a well known primarily wireless company. In my dept majority of the employees are temporaries. The ratio of permanent people to temps is about 1:6. I was let go once before from this company at the end of July to be called back in the middle of August. I make pretty good pay $14/hr with the option of 15 hours of overtime a week, which I take advantage of. I just got ATTBI installed this past saturday and was talking with the guy and said they were hiring, I got the HR supervisors number and before/if I call I would like to get an idea of what they make. i know its a crappy job with customers, weather, and crap, but what is the average or starting pay for one of these jobs?

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Its not going to be much.

Though I know for a fact that these people also can do a under the table deal with their clients they install cable for and... well give them a few free channels for a small price ...
Not that I suggest it.;)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
When I got DSL installed by GTE/Verizon, the guy was telling me that depending on experience, installers/techs can make more than $25 an hour.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
they charged me $25 bucks for an install (took 2 hours). installer said they were paid per job, not by the hour.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
they charged me $25 bucks for an install (took 2 hours). installer said they were paid per job, not by the hour.

I thought this was for those who were contracted out by ATT through agencies, in my case I would be hired directly by ATT and be an ATT employee

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: alm99

I thought this was for those who were contracted out by ATT through agencies, in my case I would be hired directly by ATT and be an ATT employee

An install is more than $25 unless you got some really crappy special. Most of the time, it's either a free basic install or $50 off a premium install - or a free premium install. I haven't ever heard of any specials where you get half off of a basic install. That smells really fishy.

Anyway, contracters get paid by the job. Unless they're wearing a white (grayish?) AT&T shirt, they're contractors. And, if you work directly for AT&T, you won't be an "install" tech. Those are called premise techs. You'll be a line tech - basically, the one that the premise techs call when they can't get their shiit done or if the modem is fine and there needs to be more trouble shooting (like lines, taps, nodes, etc).

They make good money.

nik

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Originally posted by: alm99

An install is more than $25 unless you got some really crappy special. Most of the time, it's either a free basic install or $50 off a premium install - or a free premium install. I haven't ever heard of any specials where you get half off of a basic install. That smells really fishy.

Anyway, contracters get paid by the job. Unless they're wearing a white (grayish?) AT&T shirt, they're contractors. And, if you work directly for AT&T, you won't be an "install" tech. Those are called premise techs. You'll be a line tech - basically, the one that the premise techs call when they can't get their shiit done or if the modem is fine and there needs to be more trouble shooting (like lines, taps, nodes, etc).

They make good money.

nik

That is what I would be since I would be trying to get a job directly with AT&T, with the shirt.