Anyone know exact date for Intel Q3 price drops?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainman

Nov 29, 1999
Glad to see a good number of people understanding the idea that a strong AMD and Intel means that we all win.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: defiantsf
IIRC, no specific dates yet. They will be timed to coincide with the AMD Barcelona release. Intel wants to crash the party.

That is correct - no dates/amounts/models have been announced yet.

Not to say it won't happen.

AMD wanted a price war - they got it, and will lose.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: nyker96
I agree with you dudes that AMD's existance pushed prices down, as I remember Intel used to charge so much back in Pentium I and II days. I think they will not hesitate to charge like 500 bucks or 1000 bucks for CPUs again if AMD goes outta business.

I don't know where people come up with this stuff. Intel has always used the same pricing structure, throughout their history, whether a major competitor was in the picture or not. ~$1000 for the top dog and the usual intervals on down. This has never changed and will not change even if AMD closed up shop (unless Intel feels like committing suicide).

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Noema
Originally posted by: AkumaX
if it weren't for AMD, we'd still be brainwashed with Netburst Architecture, owning 5ghz P4H 500w CPUs requiring CTX motherboards, and cases with a design requirement of a 4x5 grid array of 120mm fans for each side of the case.

GO AMD!

This post is sig material, by the way.

hehe thanks

but seriously, if Intel had it their way, we'd have 300w cpus that would do -IPC. anyone remember the williamette? i bet the performance comparison would be as if the williamette is a core 2 duo compared to the P4H. having a side panel of 4 x 5 120mm fans would be cool though :p

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: yh125d
Originally posted by: Cheex
IIRC, no specific dates yet. They will be timed to coincide with the AMD Barcelona release. Intel wants to crash the party.

Woot!!

Go Intel!! Go Intel!!

FAIL!

we should be rooting for AMD. Not just because we all like amd, but because we can't afford for them to go down. If barcelona can't best Core, AMD is pretty much out of the picture.

QFT
As much as I like Intel but I do hope AMD to stay afloat long enough to ride out the storm.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
while i agree that intel has done a hell of a job with the C2D. remember, it was the israel mobile processor team that saved intel's butt. the head office team was content to sell you overheating, overhyped P4s until the market realized that the Athlon 64s offered better value(heat, price, and FP; and sometimes processing) Then came the grand reversal. The e6x00 C2D offered all four of these things in a simple pricing scheme: 6300 and 6400 for entry level, 6600 for serious users, and 6800 for enthusiasts. People knew what they should get and were guarenteed that whatever they got would be a solid product.

Intel is undercutting AMD now, but I could easily see the intel execs screwing up by offering too many versions with too few differences in performance. Everybody knew to stay away from celerons, P4, Dual Pentiums, and even core duos. Do you really think the 2x50 series will really perform better than a 3800X2?

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: SexyK
Originally posted by: nyker96
I agree with you dudes that AMD's existance pushed prices down, as I remember Intel used to charge so much back in Pentium I and II days. I think they will not hesitate to charge like 500 bucks or 1000 bucks for CPUs again if AMD goes outta business.

I don't know where people come up with this stuff. Intel has always used the same pricing structure, throughout their history, whether a major competitor was in the picture or not. ~$1000 for the top dog and the usual intervals on down. This has never changed and will not change even if AMD closed up shop (unless Intel feels like committing suicide).

well yeah there pricing structure hasn't changed much but 1000 dollars back in the P I and PII days was alot more money than it is today. also intel didn't have the lowend products like they do now. there lowend was 150-200 if I remember correctly.

the main thing amd does for intel is it forces them to keep competettive without amd pushing intel we would prolly still be on a single core P4 like platform around 3 ghz at best

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Hulk
Originally posted by: yh125d
Originally posted by: Cheex

Woot!!

Go Intel!! Go Intel!!

FAIL!

we should be rooting for AMD. Not just because we all like amd, but because we can't afford for them to go down. If barcelona can't best Core, AMD is pretty much out of the picture.

You've got the right idea.

I hope Barcelona absolutely wipes the floor with C2D!!!

The ONLY thing that Barcelona will be wiping the floor with, is Real Madrid...:D;):D

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
If AMD builds Barc according to the specs they released, IMO the new chip shouldn't have any problems taking out Core2, and even the new 45nm Core2 if things are done right. Intel might still have a heads up on Integer performance. And in SSE4 apps(For their 45nm chip) they should have the edge in a couple areas. I believe a few people will be surprised :) (I definitely will if it can't best the Core2 in most areas). Just my opinion :)

Jason