Anyone know anything about graphics design?

enz660hp

Jun 19, 2006
Im currently going to CCSU (yes, the college with the rape article) majoring in Graphics Design. This college has one of the best gfx des. programs in the North East. I love making nice websites and really...designing anything in photoshop etc..

I was wondering if there is anyone here that currently has a job in the same field? What types of things should I learn in addition to "how" to design. Which programs would be good to know etc etc...

Perhaps one day, I could become the art director of hl3 ;). <==dreaming

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
i was going for graphic design, but my girls dad is a graphic design artist and he said he worked at mcdonalds for 6 years after college before finding a job, but now hes a director for some company that does photoshop touchups of modles.

imo graphic design is bad unless you have the hookups, i changed my major to english

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: HybridSquirrel
i was going for graphic design, but my girls dad is a graphic design artist and he said he worked at mcdonalds for 6 years after college before finding a job, but now hes a director for some company that does photoshop touchups of modles.

imo graphic design is bad unless you have the hookups, i changed my major to english

Heh, I changed my major to Computer Science after surveying jobs in graphics design :p

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaido
Originally posted by: HybridSquirrel

Heh, I changed my major to Computer Science after surveying jobs in graphics design :p

computer science would be good, but it required me to take more math classes than english would..i rarely go to my math class as it is

Oct 19, 2000
True, good (and good paying) graphics design jobs are very hard to come by. I'm not a designer myself, but worked in the industry for 4 years, so I know a bit. I think the simplest things to know are the top raster and vector programs, get a great understanding of color correction, get your eye trained for colors, and most importantly, keep your portfolio updated!! Oh ya, you have to be creative, too :p.

enz660hp

Jun 19, 2006
hmmmm, all this talk about jobs being hard to find makes me want to minor in something different

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: enz660hp
Im currently going to CCSU (yes, the college with the rape article) majoring in Graphics Design. This college has one of the best gfx des. programs in the North East. I love making nice websites and really...designing anything in photoshop etc..

I was wondering if there is anyone here that currently has a job in the same field? What types of things should I learn in addition to "how" to design. Which programs would be good to know etc etc...

Perhaps one day, I could become the art director of hl3 ;). <==dreaming

All you really need to know how to do is sketch on paper. After that everything will come pretty easily. In static design (non-video), there are two kinds of programs: 2D and 3D. It's good to at least get familiar with both. Within 2D, there are raster and vector programs. Raster programs work with things like photos with pixels (like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro). Vector programs work with math to draw images like logos (like Illustrator). There is some crossover between both kinds of programs. There are also specialty programs like Corel Painter, which lets you draw natural media with a digital tablet. I would recommend the following:

Wacom Intuos tablet
Corel Painter X
Adobe CS3 (available later this year)

That will give you a tablet, a painting program, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. Flash is good to learn for various applications (mainly websites). You can get them at a discount through your school or through online academic discount shops like these:

JourneyEd
Academic SuperStore

Next is 3D programs. There are a ton available and you will have to make your own choice on that. The top three 3D programs are Maya, LightWave, and SoftImage. 3DS Max is also good. If you want more budget-oriented software, go with TrueSpace or Cinema4D. Personally I would recommend LightWave if you're going for a job:

LightWave 3D

There are other speciality programs within 3D as well, such as BodyPaint and DeepPaint which allow you to paint in 3D with your mouse or tablet. If you just want to get acquainted with 3D, give Blender 3D a try (free 3D app). I would also recommend picking up a good mouse, an optical if not laser. I personally like the Logitech line of mice because you can program their buttons for different applications. Here are some good macro programs to get you started:

Macro Express (best macro app, period)
StrokeIt (mouse gestures)
LogiGamer (macro control for Logitech mice)

Last but not least, if you are serious about getting into graphics - get a Mac. They are better for video and other creative type of work imo. If you have any specific questions about Mac or graphics work, just shoot me a PM :)

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
If you plan on getting into game design, you'll need to learn Maya (industry standard), and C++. I goto Savannah College of Art and Design, and that's what they're teaching their students.

mryellow2

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
I do mostly print collateral but the basic tools are the same. I don't advocate mac over pc. Some people will say that the functionality, color accuracy blah blah blah are better on the mac but in my experience any problems that arise are usually user error. That being said I do use a mac at work ;).

Need to know photoshop and illustrator. If you do print work indesign should be part of your repertoire.

The intuos tablet works very well with photoshop once you get a good selection of custom brushes loaded up.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Quasmo
If you plan on getting into game design, you'll need to learn Maya (industry standard), and C++. I goto Savannah College of Art and Design, and that's what they're teaching their students.
O RLY?
My ex-wife just started there this January. She's studying 3d modeling. Don't know what she's taking exactly.