anyone know anything about dog behavior?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so, I'm dogsitting my parents' dog all week, and this dog is weird :p he doesn't show typical agressive characteristics (never growls or barks, won't meet direct eye contact, etc) but he keeps putting his paw on top of my hand :confused: if I move my hand and put it ontop of his paw, he pulls back and puts his paw back ontop of my hand. lol.

if I hold one of his paws down, we'll put the other on top of my hand. hah. and if I hold them both down, he'll nip at my hands.

it wouldn't be so bad but he keeps doing it when I'm trying to use the computer.

edit: for the curious... pure-breed golden retreiver (from a breeder, not a puppy mill), about a year old.

Rayden

Jun 25, 2001
Most dogs do this I think. My dog does it. They don't like you putting your hands on their paws and they like putting their paws on you. My dog will also gently nip if you grab both of her paws. She is one of the sweetest, most well trained, well behaved dogs I have ever seen. She is a golden retriever, labrador retriever mix.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
not passive aggressive...when he shits on your bed- now thats passive agressive, but only if he looks you in the eye and smiles :laugh:

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Yeah, my youngest dog loves to paw the crap out of me when I'm using the laptop. All I have to do is swat at his paw and then he is relentless with trying to get me back. It's rather amusing actually but sometimes it hurts if he gets me on the top of the hand good.

Typical dog behavior, OP.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I have a Black Lab/Golden Retreiver mix and a pure Black Lab. Both will do this sort of thing when they want attention/affection. And no they don't care if you're on the computer or not......my little Lab will take her nose and nudge at my hand (hard too) and the mouse cursor goes all over the place. :laugh:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That's pretty much normal behavior for a dog that is domesticated. Unless it's a gaurd dog or some stupid mutt that some complete fvckwad bred to be mean.