Anyone know a lot about dogs?

monotony

Nov 18, 2000
Hey all,

My puppy will be 5 months old on Saturday. He is a really smart dog, and I haven't had any trouble training him. He has been potty trained since he was about 8 weeks, but in the last month or so I have been experiencing a problem. Whenever people come over, he tends to get really excited/nervous, and he pees. I know it's not on purpose but my question I guess, is there anything I can do about this? Is this something that he will eventually grow out of? Do I just need to try to keep him from getting excited/anxious? Anyone that knows anything I really appreciate the help! =)

More pics =)

Token1
Token2
Token3
Token4
Token5

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I've had several dogs and they all do this for almost the first year. It's a just sign of submission, especially if they are slouched over when they do it. When the dog gets older, it will gain more confidence and stop it. Spanking or yelling at the dog will only make it worse. Leaning over and smiling or talking to him in a low voice is a sign of aggression or dominance to him.

The best thing to do is to ignore it while you clean up.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
We have a Cocker that does this and about all we can do is put her in a dog crate when people come over. I think certain breeds are more susceptible to this than others and I have read that Cockers are known for this.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Don't really have any help for you, just wanted to say that he's adorable :)

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
My parent's GSD did that till just recently, he just turned one. It was really annoying cause he either pissed all over your feet or your shoes :). Its fairly commen and should go away once he gets older.

BTW cute dog he looks a lot like my mutt Boris.

monotony

Nov 18, 2000
Thank you all for the responses. As far as his breed - he is a Lab/Malamute mix. He is now almost 5 months and weighs 60 lbs! He's going to be a big boy! =) Thanks again all.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
I had a terrier mix that would do this as well. This doesn't only happen because of submissive issues. My terrier would just get way too excited and happy when meeting new people. It's kindof like when someone tickled you too much when you were a kid. :)

I think the best way you could handle this would be to get your dog used to meeting new people and being around strange people while outside where it won't matter if it pees. Eventually the novelty of meeting new people will wear off a little and it'll get older, both will help your dog to get over this problem. Being a puppy I'm sure people like to greet it excitedly which only exacerbates the problem.

So, time and exposure to more people on a regular basis should do the trick.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
BTW, dog parks would be a great place for this if you have any near by. Then you'll get him used to other dogs and people at the same time.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not much you can do if it's pure excitement that's setting it off. They will grow out of it, but expect it to take years (depending on the dog of course). Best thing you can do is let the dog greet people outside so when it pees all over everything at least it's not all over your furniture and carpet.