Anyone know a Linux Distro that will work out the box with a Linksys WPC11 Ver 4 Wifi laptop card?

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
I donno. What is the chipset of it.

That matters more then the make and model number. People take wifi chipsets and slap their own icons and covers on them, but that doesn't help when it comes to Linux compatability.. What matters is the chipset.

Like it uses a Atheros chipset or Broadcom 4312 or something like that.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
You have one of the best chipsets. The rtl8180. It should be supported by pretty much every distro.

edit: Btw, my mom's pc has this same chipset, but not same card. I know its supported in Ubuntu and Suse cause I tested her pc with both and they worked right out of the box.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Well then Ubuntu I suppose, thanks to SleepWalkerX.

Good Luck.

In Debian it is provided by a rtl8180-sa2400-source file which you can compile easily with the help of module-assistant program. (also m-a is aviable in Ubuntu's universe repository)

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
From what I've heard, Ubuntu handles most wireless connections.

It really depends on the kernel. The distro with the latest kernel will be able to support the most wireless chipsets. Unless the distribution compiles and ships modules not already in the mainline kernel. The only distro I've even might've heard a rumour do this is Mepis. And lastly it depends on any firmware packages the distribution ships. Some cards can supply the drivers, but need the firmware to use these cards. And companies like Intel provide support for open-source drivers, but don't allow redistribution of their firmware so that must be a pain.

Granorense

Oct 20, 2001
Ubuntu does, but WPA is not supported by default if you want to use this type of encryption. WEP is the default encryption supported.

pcthuglife

May 3, 2005
Have had really good luck with SimplyMepis. It detected my laptop's built in wireless when Ubuntu didn't. But then again I haven't tried Ubuntu 6.06.

Just download a few live cd's and install the one that works the best.