anyone kind of wished they lived further from work but w/ less traffic?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I do. I hate the traffic - but my absolute idea commute would be 20 minutes, about 1/4 highway, the rest 'back roads' (little to no red lights)

My current commute takes me about 15 minutes, and it's nothing but traffic. I can take 'some' backroads and cut down on "stop and go" traffic - but there's still lots of lights. During non-rush hour I can get to work in about 5-7 minutes. (I live about 6-7 miles from work) I still go home for lunch - about a 40 minute lunch - not bad.

My last place I lived literally less than a mile from my work, with one intersection. My vehicle wouldn't even blow hot air (in the winter) by the time I got there. It was awesome mainly because of lunches - 55 minute lunches in front of the tv FTW!

Would you be willing to live further from work time-wise but less traffic? (I.E. if it takes you 20 min during rush hour traffic would you live 30 minutes away with no traffic?

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
I would move where ever I could to cut down on traffic.

I hate heavy and/or stop and go traffic.

A longer commute with less traffic would be fine.

Although with gas prices going up... maybe not... lol

That's just a whole different frustration.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Traffic lights suck. yes, I would rather live farther away but have less traffic. Easier on my car, a smoother commute, and less frustration from stupid drivers.

I have a 15 minute commute but the highway is about 5-10 minutes of it, the rest is usually local and some light traffic. Not too bad, though - at least Cleveland is dead.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
already do that

i live ~50 miles from work, but traffic in Kansas City isn't bad, at least not on the east side of town. it takes me from 50-70 minutes for the drive

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Also, living just outside of atlanta, there are a lot of road-rage psycho idiots. I wish I lived in a town large enough to have a decent job, but small enough to where everyone waves at each other

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
already do that

i live ~50 miles from work, but traffic in Kansas City isn't bad, at least not on the east side of town. it takes me from 50-70 minutes for the drive

Does that get old?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I drive back roads with few lights. Unfortunately the speed limits aren't so high and it still takes a long 60 minutes. So the grass is greener.....

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
When I first got to Atlanta I was commuting 1.5 hours each way. I moved, and since then I'm a 10-15 minute walk from the office. If it's too damn hot (like now) I'll sometimes drive, and that takes me ironically about the same time.