Anyone into home audio recording?

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
What type of hardware/software do you use? Here's what I've got so far:

Multitrack: my PC, with Cool Edit Pro (M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card)
Other software: Fruity Loops (for drum loops)
Mixer: none
Preamp: M-Audio Audio Buddy
Mics: Marshall MXL603S small diaphragm condenser (also waiting on a Studio Projects B1 and a Behringer ECM8000)
Musical gear: Squier Standard Strat, Squier Affinity P-Bass, Squier Fat Tele, Ibanez thinbody acoustic/electric, Alvarez drednought acoustic, Yamaha PSR225 keyboard
Other: Johnson J-Station (I record all electric guitar & bass through this), Roland MA-8 monitors, AKG K66 cans

I need suggestions for a budget hardware compressor/limiter, and a parametric EQ (either hardware or software). Since most of my gear is probably lower end I don't want to spend too much. For compressors I was looking at the Behringer MX2200 Composer Pro ($90), or if I can save enough money, an FMR RNC ($175). For EQ I'm not sure what's good, I was thinking about going with a plug-in.

xchangx

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Stay away from Behringer. Bad stuff. That Marshall mic sucks too. Rode has awesome mics for a great price. The Rode NT2 is about $350-400 and is a wonderful vocal and acoustic mic. Cool edit pro is ok, not that good though.

As far as EQ's find a better recording software. The now Cakewalk (Sonar) is pretty good, ProTools has a free version out, etc...

Plugins would be better than buying cheap equipment

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
Echo Audio Darla 24 (2 in/8 out, 24 bit/96kHz analog)
Acid 3.0
AKG C1000S condenser
Onkyo DP-400 headphones

custom Fender Strat, Ibenez Joe Satriani JS100 (detuned to C, big ass strings, HUGE bottom end), Marshall VS8100 head (the old one, prized by swedish metal bands ;) ), Marshall 4x12 cab, Crate GX-20M, some old nylon string acoustic, my voice.

I'm curious how the Studio Projects B1 sounds. I've heard the C1 and it is FANTASTIC. Best mic I've heard under $2000, and it's only like $200. I've tested all kinds of stuff with it, and it just sounds really warm, natural, and has great dynamic and frequency responce. Plus it handled close-micing my Marshall half stack and did fine, which is more than I can say for a lot of condensers. And sure beat the crap out of the ol' Shure SM-57 that people think is so great for guitar cabs. The 57 couldn't pick up the lowest notes from my Ibenez very well, either.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
yeah and for compressors and EQ and stuff, go with some nice plugins. I love the paragraphic EQ that comes with Acid, and there's a nice compressor/expander/gate/etc package that Cakewalk sells that will work with most software.

zeon

Mar 20, 2001
Running Reason, Cubase SX and a host of VST plugins right now with a simple controller keyboard, but plan on picking up the following in a few months when i get back from my impending new job to set up a nice little home studio:

New DAW with dual 19' monitors
Creamware pulsar xtc with the classic i/o option (hopefully later on i'll add another scope board)
Kenton Controll freak for midi control
73 key weighted controller
Event 20/20 bas monitors
A mackie mixer (not sure with model yet though, probably something with at least 16 chans)
a virus rack xl
A mic or two for vocals and the occasional guitar work i get friends to do, i was thinking the shure sm-57 but i'll have to check out the B1 now :)
and i'll probably start using my rhodes mark II as well...

i'll probably keep sequencing in cubase sx as i've invested in it allready... might pick up a few new vsts, ie. pro-53, wich looks super sweet...

i'm more into the electronica thing so i wont have any stringed instruments around other than the acoustic guitar i picked up for 25$ Can on usenet i got a while back that i've been *trying* to teach myself to play...

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
The main reason I want a hardware compressor is so I can use it as a vocal limiter and not worry about clipping on the way in. With EQ's I don't mind since I usually mess around with after I've recorded all the tracks. Actually an EQ plug-in might be more convenient. Still looking though.

Originally posted by: xchangx
Stay away from Behringer. Bad stuff. That Marshall mic sucks too.

On the contrary, I've found the Marshall mic quite useful, esp. for acoustic guitar. It has a lot of high end definition. I was listening to a sound test between the Marshall and the Oktava MC012, which seems to be a standard for home recording acoustic guitars, and they sounded very similar. Plus the Marshall mic is relatively inexpensive. I've owned Behringer stuff in the past and haven't had any problems with them.

I'm curious how the Studio Projects B1 sounds.

Haven't heard it yet but the reviews have been good. It's only $80 so I figure I could sell it if I don't like it and not lose that much. There were a couple other LD condensers for under $100, but the reviews weren't as good.