Anyone Install Their Own Remote Start On A Diesel Vehicle?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
It shouldn't be any different than putting it on a gasoline-engined vehicle I wouldn't think. Aren't modern diesels just turn-the-key-and-go now?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
It shouldn't be any different than putting it on a gasoline-engined vehicle I wouldn't think. Aren't modern diesels just turn-the-key-and-go now?

Most still have glow plugs and have a "diesel wait". I would imagine all you would need to do is somehow have a 5 second delay prior to turning the engine over.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

technicly it should be turn the key, wait 10 seconds or so, then start. Depends on the vehicle. But ya, it should not be substantialy different than a gasoline engine.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have glow plugs.
The delay is built in but it seems like more wiring for the glow plugs and turbo timer.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I have glow plugs.
The delay is built in but it seems like more wiring for the glow plugs and turbo timer.
So when you turn the key it automatically delays and then turns the engine over? Or do you have to manually wait and then turn the key?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have glow plugs.
So when you turn the key it automatically delays and then turns the engine over? Or do you have to manually wait and then turn the key?

Manually wait.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I have glow plugs.

Manually wait.
Well a quick search shows diesel-compatible systems out there, so as long as you get one of those you should be good.