Anyone here work on PS2's?? Or know someone trustworthy?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Was looking at mod chips on the ps2 for the hell of it and I came across a problem they say with the version 9's and the laser coils going bad. Mentioned doing a "Romeo" Mod lifting a pin and re soldering it to a 5volt source and its beyond my means of experience.

Id like to get this done to my kids PS2 before it goes out on them. They use scratched up media in it all the time, it works great as of now but I want to have it done so I wont have a problem with it down the road.

Anyone do this or recommend one who does that wont take my kids ps2 and run off with it?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
2nd'ed for modchipman. I have known that guy for over 10 years and talk to him daily, he's a good guy.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Thanks MX I PM'd him and he has heard of the mod and highly recommends it being done, he is going to help me with this. Cant thank you enough for point me to him, seen some of his work, he's good! Makes my wiring work look like a child done it :eek: But then I dont do it for any one by my own crap, and Im getting better, just started learning how to solder within the last few years and dont do it often.

Just happy I came across that before the kids killed the ps2 and I blamed them for it.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Why don't you just do a softmod? It'll briefly use the laser but after that it'll be all off the harddrive. It's something you can do yourself for only $20 and the price of a 200GB HDD.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Wapp
Why don't you just do a softmod? It'll briefly use the laser but after that it'll be all off the harddrive. It's something you can do yourself for only $20 and the price of a 200GB HDD.

Soft mod on a PS2 with a HDD???? Please explain for Im not up on the PS2 mods.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: Wapp

Soft mod on a PS2 with a HDD???? Please explain for Im not up on the PS2 mods.

I think it's a reference to using HD Loader? It's a disc not unlike Swap Magic that allows you to install games to the hard drive and play from them. It's a viable option, but I'm not sure if you can install games that are burned to disc, only originals.

And, if your laser dies, you can't boot the disc!

Still the Romeo mod is recommended even for v9/10 systems that aren't playing burned games.

Some photos of my work here (just to show off)