Anyone here work as an EMT or Paramedic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

I went to an LA County Fire Department web site (www.lacountyfire.com) and read that LA County does zero patient transportation. They contract 100% with private ambulance services. They do have paramedic units, but they arrive in quad-cab trucks and do not have transport abilities.

Does anyone think that LA County should provide them with ambulances and not just pickup-type trucks?

I guess the argument for the current system is that the squad trucks can break off from a basic life support situation and leave the private EMTs to deal with transport...

Argument against this system would be that if you are going to buy a truck, why not buy an ambulance? Also, sometimes there are delays and you are stuck with paramedics on the scene and no way to transpo the patient.

RGUN

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2005
I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe read it over and type it out a little clearer.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Basically government doing what it does best, over complicating things. Someone calls for medics, private EMTs get dispatched and are for transport to hospital only. The city's Paramedics arrive and take care of the patient, when they're stable they pass them off to the transport EMTs to get them to the hospital and the Paramedics leave in their truck and head back to dispatch.

I'm sure they have their reason for doing it that way, but it seems like a waste to me.

josepavento

Mar 15, 2004
Thats how it is out here in Colorado. All the firefighters have EMT training (my roomate is a firefighter), but paramedics always take over when they arrive on scene, and they always do the transport. Paramedics cost a lot less than firefighters...

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
I'd guess in very business situations it would make the paramedics more efficient time-wise. Stabilizing a patient, then moving on to the next while the private ambulances transport to the hospital.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I had this same idea too. Go to a car wreck as a EMT/FF and say: "Here's my business card. I do personal injury law." :D :D

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
As a full-time paramedic/firefighter for the past 24 years, I have a little insight into it. The reasoning behind it is this: A paramedic rescue squad is dispatched to a medical call. 3rd party (Private) ambulance is also dispatched. Paramedic from FD does his stabilization of the patient until the amb arrives. The rescue squad passes the patient off and is back in service. This is because fire depts are usually short on manpower, and if the fd paramedic can get back in service sooner, he is available for fire calls also. If he had to transport to the hospital, he might be out of service for an hour or better. Plus, the FD gets to charge for services, as well as the private ambulance.

It really boils down to manpower shortages, and getting that firefighter (paramedic) back in service for the next call, be it a fire, or EMS run.

Bob (Chief of EMS - 1993-2000)

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
My guess is that it's a cost issue too, sure they can charge for the service but now you've increased administrative costs and if the person has no insurance you may get nothing. Honestly, what difference does it make where the ambulance comes from as long as it gets there quickly? Last I knew the fire department is there to put out fires.

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dunbar
My guess is that it's a cost issue too, sure they can charge for the service but now you've increased administrative costs and if the person has no insurance you may get nothing. Honestly, what difference does it make where the ambulance comes from as long as it gets there quickly? Last I knew the fire department is there to put out fires.

Dunbar, in my department, we run approx. 4000 calls per year, and 3,300 of those are EMS calls. So, no, fireman spend more time on ambulance calls than anything. Of course, that isn't everywhere. But, more and more fire depts are taking over 911 EMS. They already have the stations in place, most are trained at least to the first responder level, and if they can run EMS calls, they can better justify their existence to the politicians ..... who are always cutting your budget somewhere...

Bob

Eltano1

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2000
Here in Miami, the requirements for new hires are that needs to be a Paramedic and Firefighter or take the certification within the first year (to became a FF. The station has both, the Rescue and Engine Trucks (most of them) and are dispatched accordingly to the call.

Regards

Eltano (proud father of a PM and FF)

I forgot to add that they also use the services of privates companies to transport to hospitals.