Anyone here who's always had high blood pressure?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm 31 and recently my blood pressure was measured at 138/95.

The thing is, it has always been that way. I remember lots of times going into the drug store at 15, sitting in one of those free blood pressure machines, and getting the same results. I never got anything like 120/

:emaN resU

Nov 25, 2010
People are hypertensive for various reasons but it boils down to diet, lifestyle, and genetics.

Are your parents hypertensive? Do you eat a lot of salt? Exercise regularly? Stressful life?

The best course of action is to measure your blood pressure every day, multiple times, and trend it to see if you're really hypertensive. Then analyze the factors that could contribute and see if you want to do something about it. Better yet, have a doctor help you do this. You're likely to get lifestyle advice and end up on antihypertensive medications but you'll be more likely to live a long life if you start treating it early.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Mine is slightly low cuz of all my meds. Life can be funny.

My moms is high. I'm sure it's related to work but she won't admit it.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I spent most of my life overweight, and during those times the answer was yes. My BP was fine on my last checkup. My heartrate always seemed to run abnormally high then as well, usually somewhere in the 80-90 bpm range. On my last visit to the doctor it was 55 bpm. Seems getting in shape made a large difference for me, though I understand that some people can't manage it through diet and exercise alone.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013

The thing is, it has always been that way. I remember lots of times going into the drug store at 15, sitting in one of those free blood pressure machines, and getting the same results. I never got anything like 120/
High blood pressure is a real long time heath issue regardless of if it is caused by genetics or diet. What I mean by that is you will not live as long with high blood pressure vs the same person with "normal" blood pressure.

If you are eating a lot of salt or processed foods with added salt, stop. If after implementing dietary adjustments you are willing to make, you still have high blood pressure your doctor may prescribe a drug to lower your blood pressure.

High blood pressure is the #1 risk for death. Blood pressure for Americans tends to go up as we age. Studies have shown that reducing your blood pressure has a positive impact on longevity. Studies indicate that the IDEAL blood pressure (pressure at which no further benefit can be found) is 110 over 70. Easier for some to achieve, much harder for others.

Reactions: pauldun170

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

You need to do something about it and start taking steps immediately.
Are you overweight? Have you always been overweight? Don't care if you think you are "muscular". If you are big...get lighter until your BP drops. Plain and simple.
Do you have any bad habits? Drop them.
Do you eat fast food? Stop
Do you eat all the bro foods (Red meat, bacon, greasy crap, pizza)? Stop
Is large % of your diet vegetables such as broccoli or peppers or spinach? IF not...make it happen.

I say this as someone who has heard this story many times and have watched folks walk the path that you are currently on.
It does not end well. Where the decline in your quality of life becomes noticeable in the near future. Mid to late 30's early 40's.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20045868

Don't sit on your hands when it comes to BP. Take action

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Long time runner. I've had a history of solid, solid blood pressure (120/70 range). Took a new promotion, got married, shifted my work outs from running twice a week to once a week, mostly heavy weight lifting. Starting noticing my blood pressure rising! My highest was 145/83. I thought, wow, this is not me. My wife went vegan, so I changed with her (I went "veganish). I went back to jogging 2x a week. Blood pressure back to 120/70 range within weeks.

Eat your veggies. Lots of them.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yes, mine is always high. Anxiety can cause it. For example, before a recent hospital procedure they almost stopped it because mine was 153/103. I was nervous about the procedure so seemed a weird time to take it but whatever.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yes, mine is always high. Anxiety can cause it. For example, before a recent hospital procedure they almost stopped it because mine was 153/103. I was nervous about the procedure so seemed a weird time to take it but whatever.
My dentist started taking mine. "Wow, your BP is kind of high." No shit, I hate you guys. 115/70 normally but I am on an ACE inhibitor.