Anyone here use AutoCAD?

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
One of my new resposibilties at my new position is drawing with AutoCAD. We're using R14 now and was wondering if going to AutoCAD 2000 would be worth the jump. Any good plug-ins or add-ons to make my life easier?

PH
:p

IvoryGrail

Apr 30, 2000
nope can't say that I have. I would think the only plugins available for that type of program is render ones(Lightscape, AccuRender).

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
not many companies actually upgraded to 2k when it first came out.

2k does not offer that much more than 14.

The most important feature of 2k is being able to split a single project into several smaller files...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
needless to say, file properties change all the time... :(

usually, companies either have their own programmer or outsource to a programmer to create a plug-in to make their lives easier... i remember when i was an intern at a small architecture company that the partners were discussing (with a 3rd party, probably their provider) a $100 plug-in...

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
I use R14. I wouldn't mind jumping to 2000, but the engineering firm I work for has a huge contract with a residential designer that has no immediate plans to move to 2000. Since the entire menu system is written to specifically work on their plans, I don't want to be the guinea pig to see if the menu still works in 2000.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Autocad is for weenies. :) Get yourself a man's CAD program like ProE or Solidworks

chansen

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
AutoCAD 2000LT is fine if you're not into 3d and Lisp routines. For simple structural engineering work, I like how 2000 handles paperspace (Layouts), though for the life of me, I can't convince my boss of their usefulness. Neither can I convince myself of his.

Craig

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yup, was a drafter for about 5 years (now a programmer, in Java). Used AutoCad r. 10, 12, 13, 14 and a tad bit of 2000. 2000's great, mostly cosmetic stuff, a tad faster than 14, but it's 3d capabilities are vastly improved (if your into that kind of stuff).

If your not into 3D, save your cash, 14 is simply awesome for your everyday needs.

To whoever recommended ProE. That would not be a wise business decision. Although you may prefer it's interface to that of AutoCad's, there is NO CAD package out there that can match AutoCad's functionality, features, ease of use, acceptance and support. None! 90% of the CAD world USES AutoCad. 'nuff said!

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
it really depends on what kind of CAD you are doing.

I mean, sure the default functions are basically the same, draw this, move that, extend this, move that, move something else. start over, make that line longer, oops, undo.

Crypticburn

Jul 22, 2000
R14... woohoo, I use that. Although I would like to try 2000, and I do like mechanical desktop, but only b/c it's more fun :)

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
I, for one, would like to get my hands on a copy of ArchiCAD to test out. Looks like a pretty decent program. I have no opposition to using ProE or SolidWorks. But, from what I know, they don't really do AEC work well. Nobody here or at the office that I do most of my work for gives a rat arse about 3D. But I would like to get into Architectural Rendering as a career.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
autocad is my bitch, i like R14 but 2000 felt the same to me, so either way, i think they are great progs.

dam()

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
There aren't any huge differences between R14 and 2000. A little fluff here and there but overall it's real similar. The amount of time that regens are necessary has been cut back some, pans and zooms are faster.

<< The most important feature of 2k is being able to split a single project into several smaller files... >>

This was possible before unless I miss what you're trying to say, Mday. If you are referring to the fact you can now edit x-ref's that is a big improvement they have made with 2000.

If you have current customized menus they may need some re-working before they run correctly under 2000. There are some big differences in the way commands are handled now. 99% of all commands bring up a dialog box by default, this can affect your menus dramatically.

I don't know if they still offer it but you could at one time get a 30-day trial for AutoCAD 2000. Contact your vendor or Autodesk directly and see if they still offer this. It might help you make up your mind.