Anyone here that is from VA and has dealt with the DMV I could really use some advice plz:)

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Well if anyone in here is from VA I could really use some info, here is my dilemma I have just moved in with my GF to Washington D.C. and in a month and a half I will be moving to VA in arlington, well yesterday out of necessity and out of impluse I bought a new car, well financed a new contour svt that was the easy part, now I have to get a new DL and a registration

the dilemma:

I am not a resident of D.C. and would rather not register it here because I would just be switching everything over again in roughly a month and that would be a big pain and alot of extra $$$, I cannot switch the plates from my old car because that was registered in MASS and I would have to drive all the way home and back and then get it inspected and that is an even bigger pain in the ace. I want to get everything done in VA but I have to prove that I am a resident which technically I am not yet but will soon be, however this all has to be done by this week?

My plan:
I have the lease which I signed allready in my posession, I am going to go to the registry and tell them I am residing with someone for the time being but am moving to VA in the very recent future and hope that they just let me get my licence.

What I need to know:
will this work? if not what can I do, I dont think that I can just take the car back, in fact I know that is not an option and not something that I want to do because I like the car alot. It is just frustrating and with my starting a new job this week it puts a pinch on time. I know I should have waited to make the purchase but it was the last black model left and yes I checked elsewhere, it is a hard car to find especially since they are not making it anymore. Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
If it's licensed and registered in D.C., won't you have a year before you have to get it licensed again in VA?

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
the thing is that it isnt licenced and registered anywhere, I have dealer plates now they just wanted to make a sale which they did-I only have my massachusetts licence now and I don't technically live anywhere, I just work in DC and am staying with my gf here in DC untill sept when we both get our own place in arlington, so instead of saving myself the hassel of registering, applying for a new license twice I just want to register in VA but I dont know if they will let me since my lease doesn't technically start till sept 1--oh well this is getting to be a pain wonder if they can give me my car back? doubt it though

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I'd go back to the dealer and ask for their help. They have some things they can do to get a car licensed for a customer.