Anyone here still playing Banished?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I've got to admit, I really love this game. It's too easy, but still somehow fun. I keep starting cities, but this time I decided to play the same one for a while. I think I'm over-cautious on food.

To answer the question from the 80s, *here's* the beef:

banished.jpg

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I play it quite a bit, love the base building games. I do wish it had some enemy besides natural (one tornado and i change my mind). I tend to run out of room. I have been working achievements. I have been really trying to get all crops and herds, but just cant get it in a game. While i wont say to easy, (no problems but the ones you create, yes) One cyclone/tornado can really gut you depending on game time, early in its almost impossible to recover from, heck even a Fire in the right place. Wells can help, but again early game stone is not so free, so it depends on when it hits. Bugs are easy, just space fields, plagues have never done much, not sure if its luck or? Never had one cause me any issues. I tend to underpopulate, end up with to few people at points, if I overpopulate i waste to much time with storage (opinion), which is good long game i guess. I also tend to have firewood issues late game, to few woodcuters i guess, or to far to carry it.

My standard game, no wood houses, get 3-4 forest areas (forester, hunter at all) going ASAP so logs is not an issue, mines for better tools (to sell) and hunters shacks (venison sells great too). Logs seems to be my bottle neck so I work hard at those early game. I alos tend to work on 2-4 major city hubs with small ones here and there with supplies.

I dont much user markets, dont see why, but i think they are so labors dont carry, your people go get there own things? I also don't do much with graveyards or churches, not seeing any issues with this either.

i see you do well with wood, this is where I really feel I have a tough time, i can have several foresters, but later game its seems so much wasted space on trees.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Owned it for a long time. Never played it.
That's heresy talk.

If you do try it make sure you grab the unlimited stone / iron mod as that's really the only one I run with constantly as them running out of resources isn't that bad if you just want to grab some achievements but not being able to destroy the building after and having giant holes in the grounds from the quarry's is the worst if you intend on playing a map for a long time.

Unless you go the import way and that's hard to do until you get used to the game after a few runs through the game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
That's heresy talk.

If you do try it make sure you grab the unlimited stone / iron mod as that's really the only one I run with constantly as them running out of resources isn't that bad if you just want to grab some achievements but not being able to destroy the building after and having giant holes in the grounds from the quarry's is the worst if you intend on playing a map for a long time.

Unless you go the import way and that's hard to do until you get used to the game after a few runs through the game.
I don't use mods that just add unlimited amounts of things as they tend to feel more like cheats than mods. As for why, I loved games like Sim City for the SNES in the past, but my backlog is hovering around 75 games currently. I'm slowly working through that backlog, but it's taking some time.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't use mods that just add unlimited amounts of things as they tend to feel more like cheats than mods. As for why, I loved games like Sim City for the SNES in the past, but my backlog is hovering around 75 games currently. I'm slowly working through that backlog, but it's taking some time.
It's no different then unlimited amounts of food or trees as it still collects at normal rates but it just removes the horrible limited supply these two buildings gather.

I wouldn't mind if you could simply rebuild / destroy them to use the space to build on but it's bugged and you can't replace them like that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Occassionally I'll start a new game and play it. I play with a Mod that adds new Crops, Buildings, etc toi make it more varied and challenging. Great game, but after awhile it loses its' challenge and becomes repetitive.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I play it now and then. Its the hardest base building game I have played. I typically get to about a dozen years and then everything crashes down and my people go extinct :(