Anyone here skiied at Big Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I am planning to go there when the kids are on spring break and am wondering if anyone knows where the best places to stay are?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I am planning to go there when the kids are on spring break and am wondering if anyone knows where the best places to stay are?

I get up there every year or so

All of the hotels at the mountain are very good. The resort as a whole has been built in the last couple of decades and has been kept up very well. If you are going for more than a day or two, there are lots of timeshare properties that are within a 7 minute drive to the mountain as well. The "name-brand"/Mom n Pop hotels/motels are all off the main highway and unless you are budget constrained I would try to get a condo or mountain lodge.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Budget is fairly robust, so I'll look at the rental properties. Is there a particular area on the mountain you'd recommend?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Beaver Creek is awesome...don't know Montana, but a quick search shows that place is cheap to stay.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Beaver Creek is awesome...don't know Montana, but a quick search shows that place is cheap to stay.
I have been there. Deer Valley is even more plush, but it's Big Sky this year. We'll get a ton of bang for our buck, but I am just trying to dial in the best spots

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have been there. Deer Valley is even more plush, but it's Big Sky this year. We'll get a ton of bang for our buck, but I am just trying to dial in the best spots

Yeah, Deer Valley came up during the trip. It was my first time skiing and really first time in snow since I was maybe 6-7 years old. The amazing thing is temps in the 20-30's in Denver felt very comfortable. I would be in just a long sleeve shirt and jeans, I over bundled up when I went to Beaver Creek (I will admit that gear was needed at the higher slopes where the weather was much different than the lower ones....I thought I was going to freeze to death on the ski lift up and back down the mountain ;)).

The account manager covered the whole day for me and the other engineer, it was a big month long project.

As luxurious (and expensive) as Beaver Creek was, I hear Deer Valley is a nothing level above it, but not as laid back. They don't allow any snowboarders either.

The local crowd at Beaver Creek was fun...it'd be awesome to do nothing all day but ski and drink :) It was a good time...skiing was a lot more work that I thought it would be.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
As luxurious (and expensive) as Beaver Creek was, I hear Deer Valley is a nothing level above it, but not as laid back. They don't allow any snowboarders either.
No snowboarders, lots of grooming, gold plated bathroom fixtures in the lodges. The ski in/ ski out chalets are mind blowing (and priced to boot...)

http://www.vrbo.com/3789479ha

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
No snowboarders, lots of grooming, gold plated bathroom fixtures in the lodges. The ski in/ ski out chalets are mind blowing (and priced to boot...)

http://www.vrbo.com/3789479ha

One of the 20 something ski bums at Beaver Creek had a ski in/out chalet...I didn't know the name for them. He invited a bunch of people back to his place and the chicks practically tripped over each other following him. :)

I picked up a Real Estate book for the ride down the mountain, some very nice properties...it listed other ski resorts besides Beaver Creek. Deer Valley looks like you'd be lucky to get by on $1000/pp/per day.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
It's a year later and I am looking at Big Sky again (last year fell through). Anyone know a good ski in/out place?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
It's a year later and I am looking at Big Sky again (last year fell through). Anyone know a good ski in/out place?

Any of the big three are right there on the slope (Huntley, Shoshone, Summit).

We usually stay at the Beaverhead Condominiums. We have to walk a little to get slope access but even the youngest kids have no problem with it. They're a lot roomier than lodges.

The guidelines from this page are not really any kind of exaggeration.
http://bigskyresort.com/plan-a-trip/lodging-in-big-sky-montana

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Hey have a great time with that! I did ski-in ski-out in Tahoe, and it is fun.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Any of the big three are right there on the slope (Huntley, Shoshone, Summit).

We usually stay at the Beaverhead Condominiums. We have to walk a little to get slope access but even the youngest kids have no problem with it. They're a lot roomier than lodges.

The guidelines from this page are not really any kind of exaggeration.
http://bigskyresort.com/plan-a-trip/lodging-in-big-sky-montana
Thanks - Beaverhead looks like the winner

Status
Not open for further replies.