Anyone here sell stocks? I have a question for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I want to set a price (preferably $650) and have the system automatically sell the stocks once it reached that price point. Could someone tell how which option I'm looking to select in order to do so?

fzcja.jpg

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
Limit is the high point, where you want to auto sell to take profits at a given point. Stop loss is the low point, where you should sell to cut losses. Just don't set the loss too close to the current price, you don't want to have it sell just because of some minor fluctuation.

bargetrav

Banned
Apr 2, 2009
is this a level, you're looking at trading 60K worth of stock and dont' know how to do that?

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Market - buy/sell at the current market prices

Limit - buy only up to the price you specify or sell only as low as the price you specify. These are generally used to take profits. For example, you buy @ $550 and set a sell limit @ $700. Until the market moves up to $700 nothing will happen, but once it does everyone who wants to sell at that price will get filled in by time priority. You would take $150/share in profits.

Stop Loss = Use this to protect yourself for when the stock moves against you. For example, you bought @ $550 and set a stop at $500 so that if the stock ever moves down that low you get out of your position for a $50/share loss. The rest of those stop options are just variations on how to get out of the position and are pretty standard.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Limit...

If I recall correctly, I usually set Buy at "limit", which is the most I'm willing to pay. For Sell at "limit, I put in the least I'm willing to sell at.

I always get these confused, but manage to do it properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.