Anyone here really familiar with the DMV?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
So here's my situation.
I bought a car, and I decided that I didn't like it, and want to sell it really soon so I don't have to register it and pay for all the fees and taxes, and let the guy I sell it to handle it.

The thing is though, the car I bought had a vanity plate, and he removed it when he sold the car, so I went into the DMV to get the plates. But right away, they already put the car into the system and wants me to pay $200 for the taxes. I really don't want to pay $200 in taxes for a car I'm going to own for a week.

Is there any way I can get out of it if I don't plan to keep the car?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I don't think you have to register it. That's only if you want a license plate/ability to drive it.

This could hinder your ability to sell it of course.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
They have late fees for not paying for the taxes though. So can I just sell it, and hand the title from the previous owner to the new owner? I already have a buyer.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, didn't the old owner fill out the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" with your name and info as the new owner and send it in to the DMV? Isn't the back of the title given to you filled out with your info as the "New Registered Owner"?

If that stuff is done, you'll have a hell of a time dodging taxes and fees, and convincing the DMV that the paperwork that leaves you out is correct. If that stuff isn't done, the person who sold you the car is an idiot.

Edit: saw your reply that it sounds like you didn't fill your info in on the title. Still leaves the question of whether the previous owner filled out and sent in the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" with your name and info as the new owner.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Dirigible
Yeah, didn't the old owner fill out the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" with your name and info as the new owner and send it in to the DMV? Isn't the back of the title given to you filled out with your info as the "New Registered Owner"?

If that stuff is done, you'll have a hell of a time dodging taxes and fees, and convincing the DMV that the paperwork that leaves you out is correct. If that stuff isn't done, the person who sold you the car is an idiot.

Edit: saw your reply that it sounds like you didn't fill your info in on the title. Still leaves the question of whether the previous owner filled out and sent in the "Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability" with your name and info as the new owner.

Oh, I forgot about that. I guess I'm stuck with paying the fees then.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: Dirigible

Oh, I forgot about that. I guess I'm stuck with paying the fees then.

That's my guess. There may be some loophole, but I sure don't know of one.

:(

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
You're going to have to pay the fees. And the guy you sell it to is going to have to pay the same fees. Kinda ridiculous, but that's the way it is.