Anyone here read Manga? Looking for recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: Duddy
Harry Potter wasn't real.

Fiction = Not Fact

Non-Fiction = Truth

:)

Some people probably think it is! :p Chalk one up to me not reading correctly... if it was only in Japanese.

Non-fiction is even more boring though and not to mention, some non-fiction can be "based on a true story" so even if you're looking for some factual reading, it could just be one of those semi-fiction stories :eek:.

Edit: Only reason I wanted to respond was to call you a fuddy duddy :p.

LULZ! The truth shall set you free!! :D

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Safeway
Recommendation: Stop reading Manga.

Try reading non-fiction. Atleast you'll learn something and then be able to talk about it with other people.

Is that a joke? That is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement on ATOT today. I'm sure the rest of the world would be quite interested with the idea that Lolita, Ulysses, The Great Gatsby, and many other fictional novels don't warrant any sort of conversation.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: torpid

Try reading non-fiction. Atleast you'll learn something and then be able to talk about it with other people.

Is that a joke? That is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement on ATOT today. I'm sure the rest of the world would be quite interested with the idea that Lolita, Ulysses, The Great Gatsby, and many other fictional novels don't warrant any sort of conversation.

LOL

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis

LOL

LOL! It's funny cause they don't!

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003

LOL

Yes, instead let's all get together in book clubs and discuss "I Am America (And So Can You!)" or "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?". Clearly there is nothing interesting happening in any of those novels by Nabokov or Joyce.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

LOL

Hell, ad-filled magazines warrant more conversation than Manga.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002

LOL

Hell, ad-filled magazines warrant more conversation than Manga.

My Microsoft MCSE Core Study books are more interesting than mangas.

Besides, go to a Barne's & Noble's and look at the people in the manga section. I would not willingly talk to ANY of them ever. Their favorite clothing store is Hot Topic and they think nobody understands them. Sad sad emos.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE who reads manga is emo, but most are.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
My Microsoft MCSE Core Study books are more interesting than mangas.

Besides, go to a Barne's & Noble's and look at the people in the manga section. I would not willingly talk to ANY of them ever. Their favorite clothing store is Hot Topic and they think nobody understands them. Sad sad emos.

I'm not saying that EVERYONE who reads manga is emo, but most are.

Those people don't count. They are too cheap to actually buy the book. Look at almost any section of B&N and the people in that area will be a poor representation of the people interested in that genre. And anyway, even those guys aren't as loserly as the folks who hang around the magazine section reading magazines while pretending not to eye the cover of Playboy.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Those people don't count. They are too cheap to actually buy the book. Look at almost any section of B&N and the people in that area will be a poor representation of the people interested in that genre. And anyway, even those guys aren't as loserly as the folks who hang around the magazine section reading magazines while pretending not to eye the cover of Playboy.

Hey, I usually look at manga sections in bookstores for kicks, yet of course I don't actually buy them. Why would I pay for the horrible translations? No thx.

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the NHK - Only the beginning is "cutsey" the middle and end are mindfuck

Berserk- Of course you have to read this

Deadman Wonderland- I love this. Seriously. Its like Saw in manga form.

Tsukihime/Melty Blood - Both these series are pretty good. Kind of werid though.

If you ever happen to want some laughs
Gintama- Funny. It uses more "intelligent" humour if that means anything. No Humoungous Eyes or anything.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei- This manga is more of a society critiuqe Manga.

And dont ever buy Manga, ever.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
If you like Berserk you will also like Claymore.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Hey, I usually look at manga sections in bookstores for kicks, yet of course I don't actually buy them. Why would I pay for the horrible translations? No thx.

Yeah I look at them once in a while too, but I don't hang out there long enough to be spotted holding big boobed giant eyed 12 year old yoshimis in bikinis fighting pink robots from the future.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
The only manga I have ever read was MegaTokyo. It's american made and is filled with l33t speak. I stopped reading when it started getting emo.

Haha, yeah, I stopped reading that too. Apparently there were originally two people working on it, one funny one and one emo one. The emo one bought out the funny one's share, though.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: ppdes
The only manga I have ever read was MegaTokyo. It's american made and is filled with l33t speak. I stopped reading when it started getting emo.

Haha, yeah, I stopped reading that too. Apparently there were originally two people working on it, one funny one and one emo one. The emo one bought out the funny one's share, though.

Same here. It was readable in the beginning with Gaming Jokes and being stuck in Japan. But when Rodney left, Fred HAD to turn it into a little Romance Comic

May 31, 2001
Anything by Masamune Shirow is usually worth reading.

In addition to AppleSeed, I would also check out Ghost In The Shell, at least the original manga, and Black Magic.

There are two anime movies based on AppleSeed. The second one is better, but both pale compared to the manga and should be ignored until you have read it. The psychological, philosophical, and other aspects that made the manga so engrossing are lost in the animated films.

Same with Ghost In The Shell. Avoid the movie, though Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex is decent. I haven't read the later Ghost In The Shell manga in their entirety, but PM me if you want a link to where you can order the original Ghost In The Shell manga in one volume, translated to english but without the censorship of the original version. Some scenes were butchered. I still scratch my head over the violence that is allowed in media while nudity and sex freaks people out. :laugh: I would post the link here, but the site has some NSFW merchandise for order.

Black Magic is another manga worth reading. Once again, it has an anime movie loosely based upon it, but it is like reading one scene of Hamlet and expecting to comprehend the entire play from that. The movie is called Black Magic M-66. The manga is more of Shirow's excellent dystopian science fiction, again delving not only into the science but also the psychological and philosophical aspects of it.