Anyone here play Silent Hunter 4?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I really love this game. It has its flaws, but it really captures that Silent Service II spirit from back in the day. I just had my best partrol ever, catching a task force in Osaka harbor. I ended up sinking a Kongo Battleship (with only two torpedos), a fleet carrier, and several merchants. I came out of there with 169,000 tons, beating my previous record by over 100,000.

Pic

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Ya its a great game, although now quite dated (as in the plethora of mods are being limited by its age at this point). I highly recommend you check out www.subsim.com. The community over there is top notch when it comes to love and support for the entire Silent Hunter series.

PS - Silent Hunter III in my opinion was the best of the bunch, followed closely by III. IV was dumbed down, and now it looks like Ubisoft is ruining the franchise with the next iteration in the series.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
PS - Silent Hunter III in my opinion was the best of the bunch, followed closely by III. IV was dumbed down, and now it looks like Ubisoft is ruining the franchise with the next iteration in the series.

??? Not sure whether you meant to say II was better than III or vice versa. 5 was released along time ago, and I think the series is pretty much dead atm.

The gold mod for III represents the pinnancle of the series for me. There really was nothing like it for 4 or 5 that I am aware of.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
4 had issues with fuel usage and refueling in the context of some of the mission designs, but otherwise it was a fun game. I wish some of the stock missions had been shorter, not involving a cruise halfway across the pacific, but that's a nit since you could fast travel it. But managing fuel was a pain for those missions.

If I recall 5 was terrible, and pretty much killed the series.