Anyone here play Lotr:o, having issues with it crashing

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Friends computer, Windows 7 64 bit (recently installed) with a p45 MB + ATI Radeon 4850. It BSOD'd on her 3 times last night while she was playing LOTR:O. ntoskrnl.exe for all 3 crashes when I looked at the dumps, I know this is more of a computer help question but I figured since it's a game, maybe somebody else here is having the same issue. From looking at the dump I can't be 100% it's LOTR:O that's causing it, but she's only having problems with her PC while playing that game.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
This game can cause some stability issues if certain things aren't properly set.

Make sure that you have v-sync enabled, and set to 60, otherwise this game will eat up as much system resources as possible to give it the best render, which can cause some BSOD's (happened to me all the time when I first started playing).

Also, there should be a troubleshooting choice in the options windows (all the way at the bottom I think?). Go in there and set the max FPS to 60, and there should be some settings in there for generic/general settings and turn them down.

If you change these settings and you see that it's working fine now, start with the Troubleshooting area and gradually increase settings again until you find your breaking point.

I'd recommend always leaving v-sync on and at 60 since there's no point in it trying to push out more FPS than your screen/monitor/eyes can see.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
hm. I have a very similar setup (p45 and 4850, though I'm on W7 32-bit) and don't have any problems with LOTRO on more or less the highest settings. gothamhunter's suggestions are worth a try though, maybe you can at least confirm if LOTRO is the problem or not.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
As one that has had the game since release, never had anything even near a crash except when I had sli going way back when.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
As one that has had the game since release, never had anything even near a crash except when I had sli going way back when.

SLI is what was causing my crashes in relation to those settings. Getting rid of one of my cards without any tweaking fixed it, or keeping the SLI and doing the tweaking fixed it too.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Does she have the latest video card driver installed?

Also, I remember vaguely that a certain ATI card has known problems with LoTRO. I may have confused this with another game though.