Anyone here have DishNetwork HD? Questions

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
My parents currently have 2 DirecTV recievers and have been having trouble. They keep freezing quite often, the picture will hang for a few seconds every few minutes. DirecTV said they can come and troubleshoot, but it would be $99 and they don't guarantee a call will fix it, as it could be a hardware issue.

We then decided, ok, maybe time for an equiptment upgrade, but DirecTV HD programming is pretty weak IMO.

Now that i see DishNetwork picked up Voom, and offers 25 HD channels + locals in HD, it has definately sparked our interest... Also, after rebates apply, the HD DVR on DishNetwork is free, while DirecTV wants $400 for theirs.

I had a few questions...

1. My parents live in South Florida (just west of Ft. Lauderdale), which direction would the HD Dish need to face? Would we need two dishes as I know some areas do?

2. We were looking at the Vip622 DVR and it says it supports two tv's. We have one HD tv in the living room and one SD tv in the bedroom ~ 100 feet away. Can we hook both of these up? I didn't think standard video cables went that far.

3. Are you happy with DishNetwork?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Johntk5
HDLite FTL.

Dish and DirectTV is all about HDLite.

well unfortunately my parents don't have the option of a decent cable provider, the city runs the cable here and charges WAY too much for their sloppy service.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'm becoming rather disappointed with DirecTV as well. Their HD is compressed to ridiculously low levels which makes any high motion/action scene look like complete crap. Not to mention no new HD movie channels in forever.

I'd love to see Dish HD to see if it's less compressed.

Johntk5

Banned
Sep 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Amused
I'm becoming rather disappointed with DirecTV as well. Their HD is compressed to ridiculously low levels which makes any high motion/action scene look like complete crap. Not to mention no new HD movie channels in forever.

I'd love to see Dish HD to see if it's less compressed.

Dish compresses it bad too, but not as bad as Direct TV.