Anyone here have a Ford Fusion?

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I just bought a 2007 V6 SEL at the end of November (FWD)

When I first got into it the head room seemed small but I eventually got used to it and now see it not different than any other car

If you don't get a spoiler you can't see the back of the car when backing up, the back window is a but smaller than other sedans but is another thing I have gotten used to
It seems a lot shorter than my 95 tauras too.

Plenty of trunk space. lots of leg room in the back

right now my millage reader says 22.3 MPG but I believe thats the worst its ever been because of the cold weather

I recently got my oil changed (they did it for free at the dealer) but even if you want to do it your self the oil filter looks VERY easy to get at.

all in all I'm happy with the car, traction control is nice as well for snowy climates.

any other questions?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I worked at a for dealership and I drove around a base 4 cylinder fusion for a while.

Very high decklid that made it very hard to see cars in the rear if you're short (5'7")
4 cylinder is quiet under 3000rpms but suddenly gets louder with throttle application above 300rpms. Very suprising because under 3000rps, it is very quiet and just purrs.
Sluggish with auto tranny
Interior plastics dull, very hard and decidedly low rent(comparable to the Focus plastics)

I also worked on a few more upscale fusions and once you tack on the V6, the power is adequate.
The interior gets spruced up in the SLE but somehow I still felt that parts of it looked as if there were pennies squeezed(the trim looks alright, nothing special but not bad either, but the original interior panels not covered in upgraxded tirm stil looked low rent)

I never got to test out the AWD feature.

The review may seem overly harsh but i's an adequate family sedan considering its price if you are taller than me. For someone short, it's downright scary trying to figure where the corolla behind you is since it dissapeared completely under the decklid line.

Camry > Mazda6 > Accord > Fusion

Of course the Camry is the newest and will come with zero discounts while you can get rebates on the Fusion, but you do get what you pay for.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: mwmorph
I worked at a for dealership and I drove around a base 4 cylinder fusion for a while.

Very high decklid that made it very hard to see cars in the rear if you're short (5'7")
4 cylinder is quiet under 3000rpms but suddenly gets louder with throttle application above 300rpms. Very suprising because under 3000rps, it is very quiet and just purrs.
Sluggish with auto tranny
Interior plastics dull, very hard and decidedly low rent(comparable to the Focus plastics)

I also worked on a few more upscale fusions and once you tack on the V6, the power is adequate.
The interior gets spruced up in the SLE but somehow I still felt that parts of it looked as if there were pennies squeezed(the trim looks alright, nothing special but not bad either, but the original interior panels not covered in upgraxded tirm stil looked low rent)

I never got to test out the AWD feature.

The review may seem overly harsh but i's an adequate family sedan considering its price if you are taller than me. For someone short, it's downright scary trying to figure where the corolla behind you is since it dissapeared completely under the decklid line.

Of course the Camry is the newest and will come with zero discounts while you can get rebates on the Fusion, but you do get what you pay for.

Expect the same interior cheapness in the Camry. I test drove one over the weekend, and it's like Toyota went back in time to the 90's when it comes to interior fit and finish. Not impressed at all. I don't get all the rage over imports anymore. 10 years ago, it made sense.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
'06 SEL we've had for about 8 months now.
It's my wife's daily driver, she's 5'1" and has never complained about visibility.
We've got 2 kids and they tend to spill sh't so we got the leather interior. Personally I think the interior is very good and the sound system is good for the price of the vehicle.
We've taken it on a couple 400+ mile trips and the ride is excellent, I never got uncomfortable driving (5'10" , 180lbs).
It's the 4 cylinder, automatic and we got a hair under 30 mpg in strictly hwy driving, it averages around 24-25 in city driving.
I drive an F-150 with a 5.4l V8 so the 4 banger feels a bit sluggish to me, but not terribly.
All in all, we're very pleased with it.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I drove the base model (i4) for about a 1000 miles:
- 4 banger severly underpowered, stuggles on the highway
- decent interior, much better than a taurus or focus
- decent handling, very stable on the highway (did 100+mph)
- surprisingly comfortable front and back seats and pretty spacious overall

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

:laugh:

You're 40, aren't you?

- M4H

I'm 18 but I have had a (i guess slightly irrational) thing against the Accord ever since I got hit by 1 last year. Pedestrian+3000lb Accord=lots of rehab.

That and I like the Camry. It's not a good looking car but it has
more hp(268) than all of its competitiors,
more gears96 speed auto) than the competitors,
faster to 60 (6.0seconds) than the competitors,
Faster Passing, 45-65 mph (3.0s) than competitors
Quicker 1/4 mile(14.6) than competitors
Longer wheelbase (109.3")
Smaller turning circle (36ft)
And finally a really decent hybrid version(though the Altima Hybrid isnt bad either, Honda Accord Hybrid technology lags far behind)

The Camry is not a boring car anymore. Bury the throttle on a deserted section of road and you can feel the acceleration pushing you backward pretty well.

And fro the person that stated the fit and finish have fallen off on the camry, Maybe, maybe not the materials are very nice in the Camry and the one i drove didnt immediately give me any issues with fit and finish. Sit in a Fusion and compare it. The Base model fusion is a little depressing, coming from a test drive in a 2007 Camry LE.

Speaking of which, comparing the Focus interior to the Fusion interior isnt as bad as people may think. I might be 1 of 3 people in America that like the focus. Sorta decent power, nice interior for the price point(espicalyl when you consider how much dealers are willing to rebate and haggle you to get you to drive away in one) and very easy to drive, incredible visibility and small turning circle. I would recommend it as a cheap point a to b car.

Jan 31, 2002
The Camry is not a boring car anymore.

I was starting to type out a response, but just couldn't stop laughing.

Accord V6 6MT >>>>>>>>>>>> Camry Doesn'tOfferAMT

- M4H

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
The Camry is not a boring car anymore.

I was starting to type out a response, but just couldn't stop laughing.

Accord V6 6MT >>>>>>>>>>>> Camry Doesn'tOfferAMT

- M4H

We're talking family sedans. MT makes maybe 2% of the market and I doubt anyone looking to buy one in this thread really is looking for the Manual version.

You can get on your high horse all you want about how "1337" you are in your standard shift family sedan while I can buy a more comfortable daily driver that I can relax in and then buy another car that is much better suited to performance driving.

Flame away and be immature all you want but get off your high horse. Honda Accord is not a sports car and if you drive one becasue you think a V6 standard shift family sedan is "fun" and "cool" you should really look at your priorities and see if you should be buying one at all. I'll be over here in the realm of sensibility, responsibility and maturity.

So according to you a manual tranny automaticalyl makes something not boring. Thanks I'll keep that in mind when people ask me if a Dodge Neon is boring. There is absolutely nothing the accord does that the Camry cannot do bette besides the manula transmission that is almost a onofactor for any family sedan buyers.

I've lsited all the factors that make the camry easier and more comfortable and capable to use as a daily driver that people will buy it for.

Lower NVH thanks to a more powerful engine that wont have to be flogged to keep up or even pass traffic
Smoother driving exprience thanks to a 6 speed auto tranny
More space thanks to a longer wheelbase
Easier to drive thanks to a smaller turning circle
And more praticality from the Hybrid model.

Name 1 family sedan trait the Accord does better besides making itself a daily driver that makes you work for it thanks to a manual tranny.

<- Drives a 5sp MR2 Spyder when I need to have some fun instead of flogging around a half arsed family sedan because if you arent going to do it right, dont do it at all.

Jan 31, 2002
We're talking family sedans. MT makes maybe 2% of the market and I doubt anyone looking to buy one in this thread really is looking for the Manual version.

Sadly, it's becoming a lost art to know how to drive.

You can get on your high horse all you want about how "1337" you are in your standard shift family sedan while I can buy a more comfortable daily driver that I can relax in and then buy another car that is much better suited to performance driving.

Most people say that I should get off my high horse. I'm glad you've accepted your status as an inferior motorist, though. ;)

Flame away and be immature all you want but get off your high horse.

Hey, I just got on this damn horse, at your request, in the previous paragraph.

And it wasn't easy.

It's a damned high horse.

Honda Accord is not a sports car and if you drive one becasue you think a V6 standard shift family sedan is "fun" and "cool" you should really look at your priorities and see if you should be buying one at all. I'll be over here in the realm of sensibility, responsibility and maturity.

So the Infiniti G35 is neither "fun" nor "cool" because it's a family sedan that comes in manual? Nice to see you've already registered with AARP at eighteen.

So according to you a manual tranny automaticalyl makes something not boring. Thanks I'll keep that in mind when people ask me if a Dodge Neon is boring. There is absolutely nothing the accord does that the Camry cannot do bette besides the manula transmission that is almost a onofactor for any family sedan buyers.

Wrong, the Camry makes the Camry boring. Permanently engaged traction control, all the emotion of a Cuisinart, and the aesthetic appeal of a large boar.

I've lsited all the factors that make the camry easier and more comfortable and capable to use as a daily driver that people will buy it for.

Lower NVH thanks to a more powerful engine that wont have to be flogged to keep up or even pass traffic
Smoother driving exprience thanks to a 6 speed auto tranny
More space thanks to a longer wheelbase
Easier to drive thanks to a smaller turning circle
And more praticality from the Hybrid model.

Because that extra 22hp really makes the difference between passing and not passing.
I don't suck at manual, the 6MT will be just as smooth.
I don't frequently carry NBA players or fat people in my car, so space isn't an issue.
Suspension feels like crap, BUT LOOK HOW GOOD I CAN U-TURN!
Inflated sticker price that takes 5 years to recoup says what?

Name 1 family sedan trait the Accord does better besides making itself a daily driver that makes you work for it thanks to a manual tranny.

Fit, finish, reliability, the fact that while it might not be the best on paper, the sum of its parts is greater than the whole of others.

<- Drives a 5sp MR2 Spyder when I need to have some fun instead of flogging around a half arsed family sedan because if you arent going to do it right, dont do it at all.

Choose between "No turbo no care" or "It's nice that your dad lets you borrow his car."

- M4H

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I love my girlfriend's Fusion....

The AWD version is actually very good in the snow/ice cold weather crap. Styling is nice too :)

Don't get the version with the 4-banger it's underpowered.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
As far as family sedans go,

Altima > Mazda6/Fusion (I consider both of these to be the same fricken car, it's just a matter of liking Mazda or Ford more...) > Accord > Tricycle > Camry

I drove a friends 04 Camry for a while (4-banger), it really is like riding around on a sofa. I hate the suspension, makes you feel so disconnected from the road and the car.

:heart: 07 Altima 3.5 SE

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
You rated a Mazda 6 and Fusion AND Altima higher than the Accord??? Have you been living under a rock or something. Even consumer reports who know next to nothing about cars rated the Mazda6 and Fusion much lower than the accord.

I could see an argument for the Altima though....Nissan has really done a nice job.

-Kevin

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Sadly, it's becoming a lost art to know how to drive.
That's because its not needed. Manual was need for performance but nowadays with turbos actually being quicker with an atuo tranny or Sequential manuals being quicker on a N/A car, theres no point to have to work fro it.

Most people say that I should get off my high horse. I'm glad you've accepted your status as an inferior motorist, though.
Mind you I do know how to drive a manual. I just choose not to through rush hour traffic every day.

Hey, I just got on this damn horse, at your request, in the previous paragraph.

And it wasn't easy.

It's a damned high horse.

Well everyonee has to come down sometime.

So the Infiniti G35 is neither "fun" nor "cool" because it's a family sedan that comes in manual? Nice to see you've already registered with AARP at eighteen.
The G35 is fun and cool because it is a sports sedan not a family sedan. The main difference is the G35 is built on the 350z platform and is RWD like a performance vehicle should be.

Wrong, the Camry makes the Camry boring. Permanently engaged traction control, all the emotion of a Cuisinart, and the aesthetic appeal of a large boar.
And the Accord differs how?

Choose between "No turbo no care" or "It's nice that your dad lets you borrow his car."
1. I bought it myself thank you very much

2. You should polish up on your definition of sports car before brushing off the MR2 spyder. The MR2 turbo was hardly a sports car but rather a GT(having gained so much weight). The MR2 rigidly stick to the definition of sports car

"A sports car is an automobile designed for performance driving. Most sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats, two doors, and are designed for precise handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. A sports car's dominant considerations are: superior road handling, braking, manoeuvrability, low weight, and high power, rather than passenger space, comfort, and fuel economy."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

MR2 spyder:
RWD? Check (And MR to boot)
2 seats?" Check
2 doors? Check
Precise handling? Check (Moreso than usual with addition bracing, 2F&R sway bars and Tein suspension)
Acelleration? Check (0-60 in 6.9)
Aesthetics? (Eye of the beholder but I like it)
Braking? Check(~115-120ft repeatable stops)
Low Weoght? Check (Under 1 metric ton)
High power? Not yet but the Hass turbo kit is 80% saved up for and with street tires and ~250RWHP, I will be running low 12s/high 11s

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
You rated a Mazda 6 and Fusion AND Altima higher than the Accord??? Have you been living under a rock or something. Even consumer reports who know next to nothing about cars rated the Mazda6 and Fusion much lower than the accord.

I could see an argument for the Altima though....Nissan has really done a nice job.

-Kevin

Thats a circular argument. Since consumers reports knows nothing about cars then they rating the Fusion lower than the Accord means nothing. Cuz they wouldnt know which was better or not.

Oh wait...The Fusion was rated #1 in 2006 for JD Power APEAL study?

Or how the subscribers of Consumers Report ranked the Fusion ahead of the Camry and Accord in terms of overall quality?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I like the Fusion. Nice styling, good driving dynamics. Plus you can get AWD for same price as others' FWD cars.
Camry and Accord basically scream, "I am a boring middle aged geezer." Completely dull. Maybe Accord redesign will help, but Camry is hopeless.
Fusion and Mazda6 are more youthful cars, IMO. Altima is nice too.

Jan 31, 2002
That's because its not needed. Manual was need for performance but nowadays with turbos actually being quicker with an atuo tranny or Sequential manuals being quicker on a N/A car, theres no point to have to work fro it.

Power is nothing without control.

Mind you I do know how to drive a manual. I just choose not to through rush hour traffic every day.

Your loss.

Well everyonee has to come down sometime.

And I suppose I will - around the age of eighty.

The G35 is fun and cool because it is a sports sedan not a family sedan. The main difference is the G35 is built on the 350z platform and is RWD like a performance vehicle should be.

I'll "pull an mwmorph" and go with this:

"Traditionally sports sedans have a manual transmission and tachometer in order to provide that "sports look and feel" and are rear wheel drive, have good handling characteristics, and adequate power. Because of the move to automatic transmission and front wheel drive these types are now also to be found in the sport sedan category. Examples are the Alfa Romeo 159, Audi S4/RS4, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac CTS, Chrysler 300C SRT8, Acura TL, Infiniti G35, Mazdaspeed 6, Saab 9-3, and the Volkswagen Jetta."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_sedan

And the Accord differs how?

1. Disable traction control
2. Apply foot to gas
3. Enjoy

1. I bought it myself thank you very much

2. You should polish up on your definition of sports car before brushing off the MR2 spyder. The MR2 turbo was hardly a sports car but rather a GT(having gained so much weight). The MR2 rigidly stick to the definition of sports car

"A sports car is an automobile designed for performance driving. Most sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats, two doors, and are designed for precise handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. A sports car's dominant considerations are: superior road handling, braking, manoeuvrability, low weight, and high power, rather than passenger space, comfort, and fuel economy."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

MR2 spyder:
RWD? Check (And MR to boot)
2 seats?" Check
2 doors? Check
Precise handling? Check (Moreso than usual with addition bracing, 2F&R sway bars and Tein suspension)
Acelleration? Check (0-60 in 6.9)
Aesthetics? (Eye of the beholder but I like it)
Braking? Check(~115-120ft repeatable stops)
Low Weoght? Check (Under 1 metric ton)
High power? Not yet but the Hass turbo kit is 80% saved up for and with street tires and ~250RWHP, I will be running low 12s/high 11s

Cliffs: No turbo no care.

- M4H

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek

-Kevin

I drive an Altima, that's kinda why I rated it as #1 :p
:heart: 270 HP VQ.

The Accord is just so, boring. Driving it, style, everything. Reliability is probably top notch because it's a Honda, but I don't think I'd ever drive one, at least not the current body style. The Mazda6 isn't exactly horrible as far as reliability is concerned, I've got a couple of friends that drive them and none complain.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
My in-laws have a Mercury Milan V6 AWD which I've driven probably 1000 miles. It's pretty nice car. My biggest problem with it is the engine/transmission. It doesn't feel like it has quite enough power to me although you have to realize I spend the majority of my time driving a V8 Aurora and a 2.0T Jetta so my definition of not enough power is likely different than other people. If you step on it the car makes quite the roar but never really does anything. Considering the car has more power than the Jetta, that's a little disappointing. Also, the shifts are a little spongy; there really isn't any great feel to them either way. They're too slow to be considered sporting but too fast to be considered silky. If you end up with the AWD version, you can definitely tell you're driving an AWD car. There was no point in my time behind the wheel that fact wasn't plainly obviously to me.

The interior is pretty nice, especially in the drivers seat where I spend most of my time. They tried to go with an upscale analog clock but it just ended up confusing me. I personally don't believe an analog clock has any place in a modern car and I'm a person who wears an analog watch religiously. The seats are firm but not too firm. The sound system is nice and comes with an auxiliary port.

I'm afraid I don't know what year it is, they bought it at a time when 06 and 07 were both equally likely. I also can't give you any information on how reliable it is but they do seem to be pretty happy with it.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Oh, and a very close friend of mine LOVES driving his parents' Lincoln Zephyr. Pretty sure it's the FWD model though.