Anyone here ever use Unvercity of Phoenix online?

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
I am going to try and start getting a college degree in Jan. I have been looking for online training as I travel ALOT for work. The college needs to be accredited so I can use my GI BILL and also I am going to try and get my vurrent job to pick up some of the tab. ANy help would be great.

Thanx in advance.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was thinking about doing this too. It would be convinent for my weird hours.

Sorry, it's not an answer, didn't mean to get your hopes up ;)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i looked into it once, too. i stuck w/ my local university, because it was too expensive.

schmedy

Golden Member
Dec 31, 1999
I know you can use the GI Bill there I looked into it, but haven't done anything past that yet. I need to hurry up though my GI Bill will be gone if I wait too much longer.

Fulcrum

May 9, 2002
Which state do you live in? Do some reasearch and see if any of the Community Colleges in your state offer any online programs. It should be much cheaper than Phoenix Online (from their site I see they want about $400 per cr/hr, that's crazy!) You should have no problems with your GI Bill since CC's are public. The course quality should be the same as well. In Michigan we have a Virtual Learning Collaborative that most of our CCs particpate in. Look for something similar in your state. I think out of state students can use the Virtual Learning Collaborative as well though. You may want to look into it. In my own opinion, Phoenix isn't worth the price. I don't see their program being any better than any decent CC program. No offense to any Phoenix Online students, but they want you to pay top university tuition rates and they certainly don't have anywhere near the the reputation! Good Luck.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Check out Penn State, I know they offer several degree programs through there didtant learning program. www.psu.edu

Good Luck to you later Todd

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
if your employer does not care where you get a degree it's ok, but UoP is not yet highly reputable overall. If you can cover the costs, then it may be a good choice. Without major assistance though I'd be careful as it's really expensive. I think it will take some time before online programs are afforded the same respect (sometimes for good reason, other times not) as traditional universities. Try asking others in the same program how its been for them, and don't rely only on the people UoP tells you you can contact.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Jfur
if your employer does not care where you get a degree it's ok, but UoP is not yet highly reputable overall. If you can cover the costs, then it may be a good choice. Without major assistance though I'd be careful as it's really expensive. I think it will take some time before online programs are afforded the same respect (sometimes for good reason, other times not) as traditional universities. Try asking others in the same program how its been for them, and don't rely only on the people UoP tells you you can contact.

This is what I was going for and I HOPING someone here had used them. I am going to contact VA and see what they say and If they Know of any ONLINE education options.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
tm37, I too have been looking into the UofPO, due to my busy work schedule during the week, please post any good fortume you have w/ them; oh and Good Luck :)

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: tm37
Originally posted by: Jfur

This is what I was going for and I HOPING someone here had used them. I am going to contact VA and see what they say and If they Know of any ONLINE education options.

Focus not only on UoP but also on the specific series of classes you'll take. They probably vary substantially in quality. I know only about the MA level ones :)

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I checked into it, found that my local 4 year collage was 1/10 the cost of U of Phoenix online. I backed off immediately. If youare just starting out in coolage, your local jr or 4 year with nite classes and flexable plans may be a much better resource than online. IMHO;)

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I took three classes from University of Phoenix Online last year or the year before.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
ARGH! I got sniped by a web bot and am now receiving spam about the University of Phoenix. Swell, I wonder how long this will last
rolleye.gif