Anyone here compare Win XP and Win 2K in games with any of the new cards

May 30, 2007
I was wondering if anyone out there got a bug up thier ass to test a newer system out in games with both Windows XP and Windows 2000. If you have please post your results here for me and the rest of us curious peeps to see.

Moved to PC Gaming.

Video Mod BFG10K.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
XP drivers should work on 2K, but I agree - XP has been out for 7 years, and nobody takes 2K seriously any more. I clung to it for a long time myself, but there's just no point any more.

Twsmit

Nov 30, 2003
I think the performance differences would be very small, but like others said Win2k is quickly losing support for new hardware. Honestly I would be surprised if you could even get it fully running with current games and new hardware with the lack of drivers and support from MS.

With a 3ghz dual or quad core CPU and 4GB of ram who even cares if the performance loss is 2% moving to XP? At least XP is still being supported. There was a brief window between roughly 2001 and 2005 where 2K had really good support, and was almost treated as an equal to XP in the eyes of MS, hardware vendors and software vendors. That was a long time ago though.....

May 30, 2007
Considering XP is based off of 2k there is almost no software today that runs on XP that won't run on 2k. Only software that won't is either written to check the OS version ( which means it would work if the company didn't tell it not to ) or software that uses one of the very few pointless components in XP that isn't in 2k.

I have XP but I want to know if there is any bonus at all to using the lower system req's of 2k in newer games so it looks like I'ma have to find out for myself this weekend.

Stay tuned this weekend as I go thru the trouble to answer this question myself with my 8800GTS G92 @ 775/1936/2000, 4950e @ 3.2ghz and 2gb DDRII 800 @ 4-4-4-18 1T on my 780G mobo. I will be testing Crysis, Far Cry2 and CoD4 and any other good ones I can find that have built in benchmarks of custom made benchmark runs I can use -.- My system is far from State of the art but it resembles more gaming machines out there than modern high end gamers anyways so :p

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
yeah W2K support is fading fast, kind of sad but Microsoft does have more pressing obligations i suppose

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
sure, if you want ot use your CPU as house heater, Win2k does not introduce HALT commands for CPU, it will overheat. And none of speedstep or powernow works by default.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Actually, according to docs that I read, W2K SP4 includes some features for HT support, including supporting HALT. It just doesn't HALT in as many places in the code as XP does.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
... it doesn't do HALT on idle, that is what matters. However, this utility 'RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock)' will do it if you have supported CPU.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Instead of testing a non-supported eight+ year old operating system on the premise that a lighter footprint will make gaming faster, you should have some fun with nLite and strip down XP itself.

http://www.nliteos.com/

-z

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'm still on XP so any benchmarks or performance commentary I post is about said OS.