Anyone here been laid off in Silicon Valley?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 7, 2000
if you really can fathom how you could lose your job, you shouldnt have a problem finding another. good luck!

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
The reason you're not gettiing replies from your current coworkers is that they're cowards and prolly think you'll take what they give you and do something with it. That simple. Cowards. If you're buds with some of them, go out for a beer, then they'll talk....but they'll be dismayed like you.....and they're NOT REAL friends anyway since they didn't contact you to begin with!! When you have several jobs as most everyone does in their work life, you'll realize you'll never see these people again....unless you stay in the same industry with a high turnover. Just remember to not burn bridges. That ususally ends up biting you in the ass. BE THE HIGHER PERSON and just move on....away from those weaker personalities.

As for why you got laid off, don't look for a reason. DON'T blame yourself either!! It's a budget numbers game.

Upper mgmt. tells the lower managers to trim the fat and they do. It may not necessarily come down to you doing a substandard job, as managers in such highly political situations usually only keep any flavor of "pets' (i.e. buddies--most common), workaholics, guys with really unique skills, the super experienced that grease the machine, and the cheap labor (2nd most common). Could be sexism. Could be racism. Could be ageism. Trying to pin a reason is useless as more often than not REALLY GREAT workers are the ones that get canned (lazy/incompetent workers are the exception rather than the rule). Don't for a minute think that the "best" stay on....it's totally bullsh!t political and irrelevant.

Managers are always instructed to never give reasons since an employee may sue.
Just take this as an opportunity to find a better job with better culture/people....a new beginning. Your experience and education will not go for naught. Highly skilled people always seem to find a better fit.

Just start applying now, as the economy is erratic. Wait too long and the doors to good jobs "could" shut down on you. I had a Duke MBA friend go on a 6 month safari when he got fired. The economy stagnated, skittish companies shut the doors and he had to take jobs at small companies that never went anywhere. Whereas, laid off friends who went immediately looking all ended up great before the doors to good opportunities closed.

When the economy stagnates, it takes a fiscal quarter or two for skittish companies/HR to realign their needs by significantly reducing their hiring for the year.

So start NOW. And when you get a new job, keep your skills current/unique with training at company expense, and make sure this is addressed at the BEGINNING (!!) with your new boss!! Trying to get training committments later on end up usually nowhere as this comes out of the budget of your dept. Unless you have a cool boss/company, they'll hem and haw.

REJOICE at a fresh start and Good luck!
P.S. If you really liked your company, immediately look at the internal job board since when one division fires, other division hires. Don't expect any help from HR though...you're on your own. I know many people that get jobs this way!

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: anandtechuser07
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: zoiks
I think they ought to tell you why you are being let go. Didn't they have any explanation on your termination letter when you signed it?

I think he got listed as "downsized/laid off", but he wants to know why him specifically

Yes, exactly, why me? I worked hard as hell and got along with everyone. And even if they still had to lay me off, why the F is no one returning my emails? I thought these were my friends. It's like I have the plague now.

In the game of downsizing, there is no such things as names, just financial numbers.

Stop taking it personally, it sucks but there is nothing you can do about it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dr150
The reason you're not gettiing replies from your current coworkers is that they're cowards and prolly think you'll take what they give you and do something with it. That simple. Cowards. If you're buds with some of them, go out for a beer, then they'll talk....but they'll be dismayed like you.....and they're NOT REAL friends anyway since they didn't contact you to begin with!! When you have several jobs as most everyone does in their work life, you'll realize you'll never see these people again....unless you stay in the same industry with a high turnover. Just remember to not burn bridges. That ususally ends up biting you in the ass. BE THE HIGHER PERSON and just move on....away from those weaker personalities.

well that or he didn't develop any worthwhile relationships there and they just dont feel like bothering with him.

the way he's looking at this layoff as personal makes me think he's socially retarded.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: dr150

well that or he didn't develop any worthwhile relationships there and they just dont feel like bothering with him.

the way he's looking at this layoff as personal makes me think he's socially retarded.

Yup. Considering he said they laid off 1000. If it was just him, then he has a point but we are talking about ONE THOUSAND people.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I wish it wasn't true , but Viper GTS is right.
The more jobs you have the more you will find its true.
The friends you make at work, pretty much stay at work.
If they weren't friends that you spent time with outside of work, don't expect them to be a friend now that you don't work there.

Unfortunatly you get used to it, layoff & turnover in tech industry is very common, and rarely will you stay in touch from the second you leave - I have only just started to reconnect with former co-workers thru FaceBook and LinkedIn

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
30+ years in telcom & I wish they would let me go. 1+ yrs pay, 401k, & SS for the win.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Reasons you were chosen to be laid off:

You are too junior
You are too senior (and therefore make too much money)
Someone doesn't like you
You are not hard working
Your work quality is mediocre or bad
Your work quality is good but no one notices it

It could be a long list of reasons, but no way in hell the company will tell you why. Usually the executives say, we need to eliminate 10% percent of the force. Then the middle managers go out and chose those 10%, for the various reasons listed above. But you are never gonna find out why directly from your manager for legal reasons.

So just move on. I imagine you have some kind of grad engineering degree from a top engineering school in ordered to be hired to work at Yahoo.
So top engineering grad degree+ Yahoo exp = companies will fight over each other for you. You have nothing to worry about.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its called the economy.
The hi-tech companies cant keep people right now.

Dont feel bad. I was at a microchip plant for a year and a half.
Almost one year ago I was caught sleeping in the FAB, passed out right in my chair, (my own fault, I cant sleep during the day and I worked the night shift).

They valued my skills and decided to chew my butt and keep me employed.
When we had recent hits to our profit margin the company started to look for excuses to fire as many people as possible (without doing actual mass layoffs). I was one that got axed, on the grounds of my sleeping.

Thats how desperate they were to get rid of paychecks there. But because they found anal reasons to dump lots of people, they wont have to shut the whole damn place down.