Anyone here been laid off in Silicon Valley?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
that is standard procedure for layoffs

we just went through "down sizing" and they don't give anyone a specific reason, they figure it out and then chop them off, that is all

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
wow generation Y is a bunch of pansies huh?
I ranted about that dumbass CBS (60minutes?) piece because i thought it was BS and i should stick up for "my generation".

dude it's a job. get over it. are you this needy after a break up?
you got laid off. not fired. what makes you think you did anything? being fairly new, you probably just didn't have any critical responsibilities in the company. or at least none that couldn't be covered by someone else. during layoffs someones gotta go, and you just happened to be one of the unlucky few.

but frankly, do you really want to be working for a company that's going down the crapper?
look at this as an opportunity to find a better job at a better company.
After working at my last job for 7 years i realized there wasn't much more room to advance. I quit, moved and found a better job with more pay at a better company with more room for advancement.

look on the bright side, now that you have a degree AND work experience you should have no problem finding a new job... as long as you don't whine about being laid off in the interview.

best of luck.

Words to live by.

OP, grow up, suck it up, and remember that lifetime employment is a thing of the past.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
If you're really pissed off and want monetary compensation, take your company's handbook to an employment attorney. More times than not, they can find a flaw in the text to get you a settlement or judgment. I don't advocate it, but if you really feel you were laid off for no reason, it is an option.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: anandtechuser07
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's kind of awkward talking with someone who just got shitcanned from a company.

Oh, I'm sorry for making them feel a little awkward and uncomfortable, but I just lost my fucking job, and now none of my friends want to communicate with me. Do I have the fucking plague or leprosy or something?

Is this your first job ever or something? If you've ever had a job before you would know that as soon as you leave a job you will most likely never speak to or hear from any of your work friends again. I've had lots of "friends" at work and only one that I still see (and probably only because I ended up roommates with him for a few years).

It's an odd feeling the first time it happens but for most of us that happens around age 15 and we get used to it. Obviously you never had that experience or we probably wouldn't be reading this gem of a thread.

Viper GTS

I can think of no better way to sum it up than this.

I have friends at work now that I know for a fact I would never speak to again if I was laid off.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
1. Quit emailing your former colleagues. Management doesn't go around telling the survivors why you got canned. So it's best to assume that your colleagues don't know about the selection process, and now that you're on the outside, they can't tell you company business. I don't see how this stuff is a surprise.

2. Good people do get laid off. You probably have the skills and academic pedigree to get another job at another tech company. The sooner you get back on the horse, the better. He already told you they're not going to discuss this matter further. If they're canning 1000 peeps, then they probably had to can someone from your group, and you got picked. Maybe you made the most money, maybe you were the least experienced. Maybe your project was the least profitable. Maybe your colleagues are better. Maybe you were not as well thought of as your colleagues. This may not have had anything to do with you. Although, you do sound like a whiny fellow who thinks quite highly of himself(or at least your productivity), so you may want to take this time to do some self-assessment to make sure that it really is THEM and not YOU that got you in this mess.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
So what, you got laid off.
It may be your first time, but it definitely will not be your last.

Get over it and get another job.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: Special K
WAS IT YAHOO?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? :p

EDIT: Are you that douchebaggy guy who used to bring it up in every CS thread that he had a PhD in CS and that he worked at Yahoo after considering X/Y/Z other companies? He had a different username, but IIRC, was banned.

That was Rogodin, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it was someone else, even though Rogodin was a douche as well. I'm straining my brain to remember the username.

EDIT: shuttleboi!

YES. I remember that guy. And that's exactly who I thought the OP was, partly because he used the same avatar and seems like he's also a tool. If it is shuttleboi... how appropriate.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
There are 3 types of people in the world:

1) Those who get pushed down and usually stay down.
2) Those who get pushed down and get back up.
3) Those who get pushed down and get up and push back.

You sound like number 1. I got rejected from so many job offers and you shouldn't complain. I'm still unemployed, but at least you HELD a job. But that doesn't mean I should throw in the towel and mope around in depression and get all emo. Pick yourself up and go out and find another job.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Welcome to Silicon Valley. Companies grow and shrink at an amazing rate here. You are expendable regardless of experience... especially if you're a relative newbie. But chances are there are at least two competitors that will hire you.

It is definitely a BAD idea to continue to try to talk to your co-workers, especially about being fired. Don't burn bridges. You may end up working with some of those people again years down the line.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
A guy comes here after being laid off for the first time and posts about it and complains about it some, and people tear him up for being human!!!! Try being a little nicer.

1. Don't listen to these jackasses. they may be right about some things, but they are wrong in their response toward you. If you feel bad aobut the job loss, that is cool. It is normal to feel bad about a "rejection" like this EVEN if it is not your fault. most likely as it was mass lay off, it was not your fault. It still will not feel good.

2. You will find another job. What many of the people here were trying to tell you was that you should not let this experience flavor any interviews you get. Always talk positively about the companies you worked for when being interviewed. Interviewers like a "positive" attitude.

3. Like everyone else said here already, most of your former fellow employees will not want to associate with the "untouchables." They probably don't want to catch that "laid-off" disease themselves, which they inaccurately believe can be transmitted verbally. You might even find that others outside of work find you "untouchable" b/c you got laid off. you have to remember that is b/c they are insecure and measure their worth and measure other people by what they do, which is a faulty means of measure. Truth is, none of us can judge another.

4. You will survive this and in the end it is just a job.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
I just got laid off from a large company this week in Silicon Valley along with many others. I worked there for almost two years. This was my first "real job" after having graduated from grad school. Please, I am going crazy right now.

My manager told me I was canned. I asked him, point-blank, why I was chosen to be laid off. He refused to give me a straight answer. He said "it was a decision from upper management." I've been home for the last few days. I've emailed my former coworkers asking why the hell did this happen to me. No one is answering my emails. It's like I never worked there. This is all so surreal.

I finally got an email from my former boss last night. His reply was the same, he did not want to discuss why I was laid off.

What the F is going on? Are these people legally handcuffed such that they cannot say anything? Are these the rules of the game? I am totally new to this. Please, if someone can give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know about the particular laws in your state but when I was in VT I remember quite well that if an employer stated the reason you were let go of or fired, you could immediately turn around and sue for wrongful termination and were practically guaranteed a settlement. Also, I can't remember the exact name but there is an identified phenomena where if a person is expelled from a group for any reason its members turn on him or her immediately. This is just human nature.

As far as friendships well they come and they go. You're best off leaving your former co-workers alone lest you develop a reputation. Those things follow you for life and are impossible to shake.

If I were you I'd take a few personal days. Get some fresh air, visit loved ones, maybe treat yourself to a new cd or something small and then get back in the game with a fresh face afterwards.

Good luck bro. It's a jungle out there.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: xochi

What was the general reason that was given to the group? company not doing well financially? Company moving in a new direction? anything like that?

1000 people got laid off this week. It was known the company was doing a bit on the mediocre side.
Look, they did you a favor by laying you off now. If you weren't laid off you'd be one of the ones left wondering when it was going to happen to you. I understand your desire to question why but if you're being laid off was not isolated than you will be getting no answer. You were judged to be one of the least necessary people so you got canned first. No big deal. With two years under your belt you shouldn't have much of a problem getting a new job.

Odds are you will eventually find out why within a year or two in the news. Else you might run into someone who you knew from their and they might say something in passing off the record (that they would not be willing to write in an email or say over the phone).

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Narse
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's kind of awkward talking with someone who just got shitcanned from a company.

Oh, I'm sorry for making them feel a little awkward and uncomfortable, but I just lost my fucking job, and now none of my friends want to communicate with me. Do I have the fucking plague or leprosy or something?

Is this your first job ever or something? If you've ever had a job before you would know that as soon as you leave a job you will most likely never speak to or hear from any of your work friends again. I've had lots of "friends" at work and only one that I still see (and probably only because I ended up roommates with him for a few years).

It's an odd feeling the first time it happens but for most of us that happens around age 15 and we get used to it. Obviously you never had that experience or we probably wouldn't be reading this gem of a thread.

Viper GTS

I can think of no better way to sum it up than this.

I have friends at work now that I know for a fact I would never speak to again if I was laid off.
Same here. Or did. I left and went back to school. I haven't talked to most since then and I wasn't surprised. I mean, quite often how much do you have to say to someone you only know through casual work chit chat. Some people you get to know. Not everyone. Perfectly normal.

Nov 3, 2007
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
Although, you do sound like a whiny fellow who thinks quite highly of himself(or at least your productivity), so you may want to take this time to do some self-assessment to make sure that it really is THEM and not YOU that got you in this mess.

Thanks for judging me, but I was actually pretty productive. All my coworkers said I worked hard. But maybe my boss didn't recognize this.

Anyways, I'd already been thinking along the same lines that you stated. Was it something flagrantly bad with me? I've come to the hopeful conclusion that it was not, or else my boss would have canned my ass months ago.

I'm then led to believe that it was something intangible and subtle. Maybe someone on the team didn't get along with me. Maybe someone didn't like the color of my skin. Maybe two cheaper, younger guys were better than one of me. I really don't know, but it was just bad enough to not allow me to survive this cut. In some ways this is more troubling since I don't know why (as opposed to, say, getting fired for stealing red staplers).

Nov 3, 2007
Originally posted by: spittledip
3. Like everyone else said here already, most of your former fellow employees will not want to associate with the "untouchables." They probably don't want to catch that "laid-off" disease themselves, which they inaccurately believe can be transmitted verbally. You might even find that others outside of work find you "untouchable" b/c you got laid off. you have to remember that is b/c they are insecure and measure their worth and measure other people by what they do, which is a faulty means of measure. Truth is, none of us can judge another.

Thank you. That is great insight. That is exactly how I feel others are treating me right now: like an untouchable, like I have leprosy or the plague.

A few of my co-workers did reply to me recently, one by phone, a few by their personal emails. I think I can call these guys my friends, and the others I shall refer to as years pass as the "unwashed assholes from that shithole company."

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
If a company is not required to give you a reason, then how do you know you've been discriminated?

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
dont dwell on it too much. there are plenty of other opportunities in SV. take the package... take a mini-vacation... then find something else.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Special K
WAS IT YAHOO?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? :p

EDIT: Are you that douchebaggy guy who used to bring it up in every CS thread that he had a PhD in CS and that he worked at Yahoo after considering X/Y/Z other companies? He had a different username, but IIRC, was banned.

That was Rogodin, IIRC.
I'm pretty sure it was someone else, even though Rogodin was a douche as well. I'm straining my brain to remember the username.

EDIT: shuttleboi!
YES. I remember that guy. And that's exactly who I thought the OP was, partly because he used the same avatar and seems like he's also a tool. If it is shuttleboi... how appropriate.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...did=1952465&arctab=arc

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

Thank you. That is great insight. That is exactly how I feel others are treating me right now: like an untouchable, like I have leprosy or the plague.

A few of my co-workers did reply to me recently, one by phone, a few by their personal emails. I think I can call these guys my friends, and the others I shall refer to as years pass as the "unwashed assholes from that shithole company."
While what that poster said may have some sort of truth to it, in the end it really doesn't matter. For the most part the 'untouchable' idea is really just bullshit.

Your former coworkers most likely have very little insight into why you were laid off. Why would you be asking another near equal coworker why you were laid off? What exactly is the point? I understand this is your first job and you're taking this personally, but give it up.

Reality is that the vast majority of 'friends' at work, will never be your friend after you leave your place of employment. You were only friends because you both worked at the same place and were forced to interact on a daily basis. I don't expect you to understand this until you actually have some time in the working world. To most of your work 'friends' you don't mean shit.

Now if you actually did make a REAL friend or two from that job, then do them a favor and LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR NOW! If you keep incessantly talking about that job and how you lost it, then the next thing you're going to lose is their friendship.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Like the others have said. When 1000 people get the axe, it's nothing personal. They're sitting there fearing losing their own jobs.

You need to focus your energy:

1) File for unemployment
2) File for COBRA health coverage so you don't get a gap in coverage
3) Work on your resume
4) Send it out and get another job!

Focus on positive energy. That job is in the past ... :)

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: SampSon

While what that poster said may have some sort of truth to it, in the end it really doesn't matter. For the most part the 'untouchable' idea is really just bullshit.

Your former coworkers most likely have very little insight into why you were laid off. Why would you be asking another near equal coworker why you were laid off? What exactly is the point? I understand this is your first job and you're taking this personally, but give it up.

Reality is that the vast majority of 'friends' at work, will never be your friend after you leave your place of employment. You were only friends because you both worked at the same place and were forced to interact on a daily basis. I don't expect you to understand this until you actually have some time in the working world. To most of your work 'friends' you don't mean shit.

Now if you actually did make a REAL friend or two from that job, then do them a favor and LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR NOW! If you keep incessantly talking about that job and how you lost it, then the next thing you're going to lose is their friendship.

I find it strange that the host of people posting on this thread are so quick to dismiss the OPs experience. The OP does need to get back to getting a job and not dwell on this whole thing, but let him grieve. Just b/c this type of thing doesn't faze you doesn't mean that it won't hurt someone else. He has time- give him that time to do what he needs and to express what he needs to express without lambasting him and shaming him for experiencing what he is experiencing.

Mar 16, 2005
Confirmed: Yahoo Design Innovation Team Axed

The entire Yahoo Design Innovation Team, aka yHaus, has been axed en masse, Portfolio.com has confirmed with one of the team's former members.

"Yahoo Design Innovation team has been shut down completely," wrote Doug Fritz, a former full-time staffer for the team, in an email.

The team had been working on next generation design projects. This week, more than 1,000 Yahoo employees have been let go as the troubled Web portal struggles to cope with operating costs that are rising much faster than revenue is growing.

Yahoo's Entire Design Team Fired

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Printer Bandit

The entire Yahoo Design Innovation Team, aka yHaus, has been axed en masse, Portfolio.com has confirmed with one of the team's former members.

"Yahoo Design Innovation team has been shut down completely," wrote Doug Fritz, a former full-time staffer for the team, in an email.

The team had been working on next generation design projects. This week, more than 1,000 Yahoo employees have been let go as the troubled Web portal struggles to cope with operating costs that are rising much faster than revenue is growing.

Hmmm...

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Printer Bandit

hey that's nothing... we let go 6000 people after we merge with them.