Anyone here an Architect? Or work in a design house?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
I wish to modernize my dad's architecture firm. They are still using big drawing boards and doing the design by hand. I wish to install a decent computer so I can hire people to use autocad and what not.

If anyone can give me good advice on what software that I should use, and also the necessary hardware, I would be greatly appreciative!

So here are my preliminary questions:
1. Autocad is obviously a necessity for design work. What other software should I use? I heard 3d studio is good for making models and what not, true?
2. Which PC hardware specs should I get? Obviously I need to get a good vid card and processor and memory (both RAM and HD). Which vid card should I get? Should I just get the typical ones used for gaming or should I buy the professional ones for design work?
3. Is there a good architecture forum out there like AT is for computers?
3. Please let me know of other things that I should be aware of

Thank you very much!

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Using drawing boards and doing design by hands keeps a certain human element in the design. AutoCAD is not exactly new technology, what does your dad think about using it?

edit: check out the specs on the precision 690 series for hardware configuration ideas Text

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
autocad is of course the standard, but the program that's gonna be the "next autocad" is called revit.. also made by autodesk. it's a 3d modeling program. get that, get someone that knows it, train your employees and you'll be ready for the future

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: doze
Using drawing boards and doing design by hands keeps a certain human element in the design. AutoCAD is not exactly new technology, what does your dad think about using it?

edit: check out the specs on the precision 690 series for hardware configuration ideas Text

my dad is old school and I dont think he will ever convert to using the computer. What I plan to do is still to have the initial design done in paper, but the finishing will be done on the computer. This way if there are any changes we can do them faster than changing the drawings by hand. Also we can then use the computer designs for marketing purposes or what not.

Thanks for the 690 tip!

Are you in any design work by any chance?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: habib89
autocad is of course the standard, but the program that's gonna be the "next autocad" is called revit.. also made by autodesk. it's a 3d modeling program. get that, get someone that knows it, train your employees and you'll be ready for the future

I am wary of using technology that is too new. Also I dont think I can find anyone here that knows that software yet...

dangereuxjeux

Feb 17, 2003
AutoCAD (or any other CADD drafting program, for that matter) is a lot like drafting by hand, only faster. You can use the program to do 2D drafting, but with much quicker revision, repetition, cataloging, etc. To use the programs for a real change, you'd have to be using AutoCAD, Ecotect, FormZ, etc. in 3D, or using a program like Revit, mentioned earlier. I've been using Revit for about a year and it is a definitive change from using AutoCAD, and is something known as a building information manager (a building design program and a database of building information and values all rolled into one).

A program like Revit will be hard to get accustomed to for someone who still hand drafts. The greatest success you will have, and the easiest I've seen at the office at I work, is for younger people who are used to working with computer programs and have probably done 3D design work during school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

EDIT: For any of these programs (especially Revit, from experience), you'll want a pretty beefy setup, especially in terms of RAM (2 GB+). I don't know the scale or type of projects your dad works on, so it's tough to make assumptions, but if it's anything large this will be especially helpful. And LCD monitors, because you'll definitely appreciate it if you put in long hours.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: dangereuxjeux
AutoCAD (or any other CADD drafting program, for that matter) is a lot like drafting by hand, only faster. You can use the program to do 2D drafting, but with much quicker revision, repetition, cataloging, etc. To use the programs for a real change, you'd have to be using AutoCAD, Ecotect, FormZ, etc. in 3D, or using a program like Revit, mentioned earlier. I've been using Revit for about a year and it is a definitive change from using AutoCAD, and is something known as a building information manager (a building design program and a database of building information and values all rolled into one).

A program like Revit will be hard to get accustomed to for someone who still hand drafts. The greatest success you will have, and the easiest I've seen at the office at I work, is for younger people who are used to working with computer programs and have probably done 3D design work during school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

EDIT: For any of these programs (especially Revit, from experience), you'll want a pretty beefy setup, especially in terms of RAM (2 GB+). I don't know the scale or type of projects your dad works on, so it's tough to make assumptions, but if it's anything large this will be especially helpful. And LCD monitors, because you'll definitely appreciate it if you put in long hours.

Thank you for the info.

Yes I do plan to hire younger people that are experienced in using these software.

My dad builds custom houses, so his projects are not that big.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: z0mb13

my dad is old school and I dont think he will ever convert to using the computer. What I plan to do is still to have the initial design done in paper, but the finishing will be done on the computer. This way if there are any changes we can do them faster than changing the drawings by hand. Also we can then use the computer designs for marketing purposes or what not.

Thanks for the 690 tip!

Are you in any design work by any chance?

I graduated college with an industrial design degree but jobs were slim to none so I turned to tech work instead. If you want to get started right away you can probably get earchitecture/engineering students or tech school guys to do the grunt work transferring drawings to CAD for cheap. It gives them work experience or an internship and gives your dad cheap labor while he trains his own guys. Several friends did this for architecture and engineering companies while in school.

Does your dad have a large busy firm, or does he take handle smaller private clients?

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
Archicad at 5 grand is a pretty powerful CAD program, but almost everyone uses Softplan which goes for 3 grand, or you can get the Lite version with less functionality for 1 grand, or ChiefArchitect which isn't as powerful as Softplan, but comes close, but costs about 2 grand.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

Does your dad have a large busy firm, or does he take handle smaller private clients?

He handles smaller private clients. I plan to do this because I think he is currently very inefficient. If I want to scale up the business it is simply not doable by the way he does things. He practically does all the drawings himself (he does have one drafter but that guy doesnt really design).

What I plan to do is for him to be the head architect. He will still do the design in paper, but just in pencil sketches while the finishing is done by other people that does them in the computer. I think this is pretty doable.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: TheDro
Archicad at 5 grand is a pretty powerful CAD program, but almost everyone uses Softplan which goes for 3 grand, or you can get the Lite version with less functionality for 1 grand, or ChiefArchitect which isn't as powerful as Softplan, but comes close, but costs about 2 grand.

soo I take it these are autocad competitors?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Greenman
What sort of architecture? For residential work there are better tools than autocad.

yes mainly for residential work (custom houses). Please do reccomend other tools :)

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006

Yep, Archicad is catered toward large architectural firms that do commercial, or residential work, the others are mainly geared towards residential type work.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

Yep, Archicad is catered toward large architectural firms that do commercial, or residential work, the others are mainly geared towards residential type work.

hmmm how mainstream are softplan and chiefarchitect? The reason why I am asking is because it seems like over here autocad is the defacto CAD tool taught in universities. Maybe it is just me that is uninformed about these other softwares. I will definitely look at these though :)

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
In terms of userbase: Softplan = Microsoft/PC, Chiefarchitect = Apple
Most of the builders here use Softplan, with the exception of a few smaller builders, and most residential architects/designers use Softplan as well, again there a few that use Chiefarchitect. Archicad on the other hand, has a much smaller user base in the residential design user base.

(Softplan, Chiefarchitect don't have Mac versions, only Archicad has a Mac version, though it shouldn't matter with the Intel macs I guess)

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I use Softplan Lite, its fine for basic floorplan and elevation stuff, which is what I do. We will move up to the full version once we get into some commercial work.

I have heard good things about Chief, even downloaded a demo. It looked promising, and I heard that the learning curve was a bit lower than with Softplan.

You can d/l a free demo of Chief and Softplan. They are both AutoCAD based and anyone with some CAD experience should be able to jump right in with a low learning curve, many of the commands will be the same. They will both save in standard DXF extensions so you can take you work to a print shop with a plotter.

Softplan or Chief will be fine be a low volume residential builder, and they dont have really high system requirements. I run Softplan on:

XP Pro
P4 1.6
512MB RAM
Old School 3dfx V5500 :)
22" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510

Would more than likely need to upgrade a bit if I really used any of the 3D modeling, but mostly I stick to 2D work.

Nov 5, 2001
I suggest you spend some time reading posts here.

If you are serious, you might contact Joe Stoddard there for some consulting.