Anyone here a swinger? (Swing arm wall-mounted TV, that is...)

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Finally pulled the trigger on buying a new TV (last one, eight years ago - the venerable 52" RCA R52WH74 - rear projection). This is a 65" so it will be a step on in size and new bells and whistles - I'll need a new AV receiver for the 4K pass through.

However, the RCA it replaces came with its own stand and cabinet. So now I either need a corner stand or mount it on the wall. And since it will be in a corner, the wall mount will need to accommodate the need to pull it away from the wall and at an angle.

The corner of the room is a right triangle with wall (a) @ 52 degrees and wall (b) @ 38 degrees. The hypotenuse is long enough to capture the full width of the TV and those two angles may change as I check the room coverage to see the TV (lessen as much side glare as possible).

I'm going to go with Monoprice and was looking at these two:

"Corner Friendly" https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4562
"Stable Series" https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12280 [If I mount it on wall (b)]

I like the look of some of the other designs but don't know what I really need. As the TV is bigger than either wall (wall (a) is short because it is an entrance way and wall (b) is bounded by wall (a) and an 8' high shelves.

[I'd post pictures of the corner, but I have to link them from the Intarwebs.]

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i was in this same situation.
i ended up not going swing arm
i went with a 3-in-1 stand with swivel and tilt
gave me someplace to put the receiver, sub went behind it
and it wasnt too high

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I would rather not go with a stand because I have kids under the age of five right now.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
I have something similar to the first mount you listed (can't remember which brand), with an old 46" plasma mounted on it that weighs in around 80 pounds. Though your TV is bigger, I doubt it will be heavier. Even cantilevered out a bit from the wall at an angle, it's been quite stable, no complaints. As a father of 3 young spawn myself, you will want to mount it as high as possible, or make sure other equipment is blocking the corner. If the bastards CAN hang from it, they WILL. Even if it's out of reach today, it probably won't be after a few more meals.

Secure mounting to studs is essential. The lag screws included with stands are usually pretty low grade. Getting some better screws at your local hardware store (with the appropriate washers) and pre-drilling is a good idea, and properly placing them in the middle of the stud is key.

Reactions: MaxDepth

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
I have a plasma mounted to the wall using a Monoprice arm. It's completely stable. As long as you can properly locate two studs you'll be fine.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I would rather not go with a stand because I have kids under the age of five right now.

Don't let your kids dictate what you can and can't do. Both my kids learned very early on not to touch Dad's audio equipment. A couple of time outs and some stern talking to works wonders.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oh they know better already with the RCA rear projection behemoth in the living room. But if Mr Fluffy (not his real name, you know, to protect the innocent) goes flying, I don't want to knock the TV askew.

Don't let your kids dictate what you can and can't do. Both my kids learned very early on not to touch Dad's audio equipment. A couple of time outs and some stern talking to works wonders.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I have a monoprice mount similar to the second one. I prefer the dual arm units so that would be my suggestion.

Mine is holding up a 60" pioneer plasma with the side speakers attached to the display. I would say 90# or more. plenty stable.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
At the end I went with this one because of the extension capability. I also went for the professional installation. But the guy was just okay. Even though I told them in advance what model of TV I had, he was not prepared. I had to go to the store to get longer TV mounting bolts.

Mount-It! Articulating Wall Mount, Full Motion LCD TV Bracket with Extendable Swing Out Arm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z4BI86/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp