Anyone help figure out why I'm failing at OC?

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hey guys. I just decided to OC my 670 ASUS TOP. Base GPU is around 1059. When I increase the clock speed using either Afterburner or Precision-X it will show the new speed in GPU-Z, but after I bench and look at the graphs it always shows the same GPU clock (base) and my benchmark never changes. I have been up as high as 200+ and same thing. My temps max at 59C and I have left stock voltage, so I don't think it throttling. Ideas? Could there be some hardware level block on overclocking?

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Did you increase the power limit in afterburner? you can up it 15% or something.

Your card is factory overclocked, maybe it's hitting the power limit at stock frequency already, in which case increasing the max won't do much.

I have the same card, tried overclocking it once, but wasn't very succesful, in fact it's already somewhat unstable at stock, if I set tessellation to max on unigine heaven it'll cause the driver to stop responding and recover in under a minute, if I lower the clock 50 MHz it will stay stable.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
This may be silly but I like to check the simplest stuff first; in Afterburner you have to hit "apply" after you change the numbers in the boxes corresponding to the OCs, and you have to hit enter after you change the number in each box for it to stick.

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
OP, yeah the boost thing is frustrating sometimes, I know what you are talking about. The original Titan would do that. We had to increase (reflash gfx bios) the wattage numbers so it would hang onto the requested clocks.

2500K@4.9? Dude get a 970 for that beast.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yah 970 is incoming - probly tomorrow. Just practicing overclocking on this one for a few days.

Power limit set to 110% and in the graphs it never gets over 93%. GPUZ shows GPU clock at 1360 so pretty sure I hit "apply" lol.

What I cant figure out is if it is hitting a limit then why no artifacts or other signs? Its definitely not thermal throttling at 59C. Also if GPUZ shows 1360 then why do the Afterburner graphs during bench never show more than 1070?

Really just making sure that I actually know how to do this right when my 970 gets in. I haven't overclocked a GPU since my 5850 like 6 years ago. Seems like it was easier then, but then I did hack BIOS and hard-code the overclock.

Last edited: