Anyone have XP w/ HD 6990 Dual-BIOS?

Tinsley847

Feb 23, 2013
So I was running my 6990 on the default setting because I was bottle necking at my CPU anyway. Now that my i5-3570k is in the mail, I am planning on trying the boost mode when I hook up my new MB & CPU.

I have read that the increased heat from this mode could be an issue? Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm freaking out a little bit about it, and I'm already looking at replacing my 120 & 140mm case fans with Noctua's in order to compensate.

Just as a foot note, considering it will up my wattage consumption. Is it crazy for me to think a 1000 watt psu will run my new rig properly?

New Rig Specs...

CPU: Intel 3570K 3.4 ghz (3.8 turbo)
VIDEO CARD : HIS Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready
MOTHERBOARD : Asus P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 w/ UEFI BIOS
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2)
HDD : Single Hard Drive 300GB (Not Solid State)
MONITOR: 27” LCD – Samsung (MAX RESOLUTION = 1920x1080)
POWER SUPPLY: 1000 WATT PSU
CHASIS: Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNSB Black Full Tower

For information on the boost mode I'm referring to, I have posted a part of the toms hardware review on the card.

Taken from Tom's hardware review...

"As if to prove it engineered this card beyond what the second-gen PCI Express spec officially supports, AMD takes the dual-BIOS concept introduced on its single-GPU Radeon HD 6900-series cards and puts it to some use. By default, the Radeon HD 6990 runs an 830 MHz core clock at 1.12 V. Flip the switch next to the CrossFire connector, though, and both settings jump to 880 MHz and 1.175 V, respectively, upping the power ceiling to 450 W (clearly, those eight-pin connectors aren't limited to 150 W).

Now, this still isn’t the same as a Radeon HD 6970 since the memory clock remains at 1250 MHz in both cases. But AMD does facilitate clocks of up to 1200 MHz core and 1500 MHz memory through Overdrive. If you have the will to push this card further, AMD lays the foundation. Be forewarned, though. Even if you damage the card using its built-in second BIOS, warranty coverage won’t apply."

dual-bios.jpg

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Your voltage and clocks won't be jumping up that much with the OC switch. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you have a nice large case with decent air flow. Test it out a little bit. Run Crysis 3 with your new setup and the switch in the normal position and monitor your temps. Do the same with the switch in the OC position.
(Max I would go would be 90c-95c)

What brand PSU do you have? As long as it's not an ebay special you should be fine. Remember this new CPU and motherboard will be drawing less wattage then your old Phenom II setup.

There is a guy here on the forums who has the same card, maybe he will see this post and give you some pointers. I am assuming this card can go higher the 880Mhz on the core.

Last edited:

Tinsley847

Feb 23, 2013
Thank you very much for the reply. The community on this website and you in particular have been very helpful.

If only I knew then what I know now about computers lol, I might not have spent $700 on a 6990 that on release day couldn't even beat a pair of HD 6970s in crossfire. Reading reviews for stuff you already own hurts sometimes. Can't change it now, live & learn.

I'm looking forward to building my new setup & plan on eventually posting some pictures.

You guys are great!

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Thank you very much for the reply. The community on this website and you in particular have been very helpful.

If only I knew then what I know now about computers lol, I might not have wasted $700 on a 6990 that on release day couldn't even beat a pair of HD 6970s in crossfire. Reading reviews for stuff you already own hurts sometimes. Can't change it now, live & learn.

I'm looking forward to building my new setup & plan on eventually posting some pictures.

You guys are great!

No worries :) , most people on this forum are very helpful. keep in mind the 6990 is still a very powerful card. It's loud and hot, but at least it's got the power to back it up.

Also, check out the new AMD beta drivers, you should see some improvements in Crysis 3 if you still on the old 12 series drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/amdcatalyst132betadriver.aspx

Looking foward to seeing some pictures and that AUTO overclock ;)

EDIT: Which brand and model of Power supply do you have?

Last edited:

Tinsley847

Feb 23, 2013
I forgot my XFX 1000 watt psu blew up on me. I had to grab this one off the shelf at best buy and haven't upgraded since. >.<

Thermaltake W0319RU TR2 RX 850-Watt Modular Power Supply - 850W, 140mm Fan, ATX, Modular, 80 Plus Bronze

Between the Beta drivers and the patch from crytek. It is actually alot smoother than before. Significant for sure. I don't regret upgrading either way though, it will be nice to match my GPU w/ a CPU of equal quality. Also having a 2nd rig is not gonna be bad either.

Thanks again