Anyone have (or played with) a Mini-DV camcorder?

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
My friend is in the market for a minidv camcorder for personal use, and would really rather not spend over $600... $500 or below would be ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Brands to go for, brands to stay away from? Something reliable and of reasonable quality... he needs it by next Thursday, and I'm wondering if it would be best to go to Circuit City or shop around some more online. If you have one, what is it and how do you like it?

Peace,
Dezign

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I picked up a Sony Digital8 in that price range. Had to take it back as it would pick up the motor and sound of the tape turning when recording. I tried 2 models and they both did the same thing. I read some of the Canon MiniDV cams have the same problem. Returned the Sony yesterday and got the Sharp VL-NZ100U for $569 at Sears (after pricematch to Circuit City). So far no complaints. It is SO tiny. Takes great videos, has SD memory card for still pics, large 3" LCD. Here's a link: Sharp MiniDV

Also, there is a $100 mail-in rebate on the Sharp this week.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Just IM-ed my friend about it. I personally like the Sharp, but he wants one in the style of the Canon ZR20, except with the buttons on top vs. on the side of the camcorder. Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

Peace,
Dezign