Anyone have issues with getting a refund credited to Paypal account?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Cliff Notes: Paypal seems to have problems processing refunds from retailers.

Edit: I just received the refund.

I bought a monitor online from Best Buy a few years ago, and used Paypal to pay for it. However, I ended up finding a monitor I liked better (and it was cheaper), so I returned the monitor to my local Best Buy. The refund receipt showed the full amount would be refunded to my Paypal account. After the refund didn't show up after 90 days, I called Paypal and did a dispute. I ended up scanning the return receipt, and uploaded it to the Paypal dispute team. After that, I finally received a refund about 2 months later.

Fast forward to around March 2019, I purchased some car parts from Auto Zone, and used Paypal to pay for them. One of the items I ordered had an additional core charge of $54 (brake caliper), so after I removed it from the car and installed the new one, I returned the caliper to my local Auto Zone. They gave me a receipt showing the core charge refund going back to my Paypal account, however the same thing has happened again.

So I called Paypal and their dispute team opened the case, but they didn't ask for me to send them a copy of the return receipt (it doesn't appear to be an option in my account like it used to). Today I received a letter from their dispute team stating that I will get the refund once I return the part, and to fax the tracking number after I mail the item to them. I just called in, and after being on hold for about 20 minutes, I finally got through to customer service, although I seriously could not understand 90% of what she said (super-duper heavy India accent). I tried asking if I could send in a copy of the receipt, and I think she said something about waiting for an email and the dispute team would contact me again.

I'm seriously thinking about not using Paypal any more as they are 0 for 2 on actually issuing a refund. It could be that the various retailer's payment systems have problems with refunds when Paypal is involved, but that's not my fault. I don't think I've ever had an issue getting a refund when using one of my credit cards. So am I just unlucky, or are there others here who had a similar experience with Paypal?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've gotten Paypal refunds/adjustments from Newegg, BestBuy, Staples, and Walmart without issue.

Maybe it's just you? :p (Though, the retailer's integration of Paypal probably has something to do with it.)

It usually shows "pending" for like a week though.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've gotten Paypal refunds/adjustments from Newegg, BestBuy, Staples, and Walmart without issue.

Maybe it's just you? :p (Though, the retailer's integration of Paypal probably has something to do with it.)

Could be, I guess.

I just don't understand their process, and they could make it so much quicker to resolve if they'd just let me scan my receipt and send it to them. That way Paypal and Auto Zone would have all the info (on the receipt) needed to research it. Date, time, register, location, and transaction number.

I mean that's why you save receipts in the first place.....to prove you bought an item (or returned one). I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a rep I can actually understand, and see if they can get this fixed. If they give me the run-around again, or won't let me send them the proof, I will likely be done making any purchases with Paypal. I'll just use one of my cards instead.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Could be, I guess.

I just don't understand their process, and they could make it so much quicker to resolve if they'd just let me scan my receipt and send it to them. That way Paypal and Auto Zone would have all the info (on the receipt) needed to research it. Date, time, register, location, and transaction number.

I mean that's why you save receipts in the first place.....to prove you bought an item (or returned one). I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a rep I can actually understand, and see if they can get this fixed. If they give me the run-around again, or won't let me send them the proof, I will likely be done making any purchases with Paypal. I'll just use one of my cards instead.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I called and spoke to a different rep today, and thankfully her accent wasn't anywhere as heavy as the one I spoke to yesterday. She gave me fax number and instructions to send in my return receipt (they now have no way to upload or send receipt via email). I was planning on getting it faxed tomorrow afternoon.

I also sent another email to Auto Zone last night trying to get them on board, and see if they could take a look at it. They responded by saying my email was being forwarded to my regional office.

Then just about 10 minutes ago, I received an email from Paypal stating that Auto Zone credited my account for the $54. I thankful it's finally done, and I sure hope they get whatever happened fixed for future purchases.