Anyone have home rememdies for toothaches?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Go to the dentist. Don't regret it like I did. I neglected to go to the dentist for 7 years and when I did, the dentist told me I had 4 cavities. It was painful because I got them done, they were too sensitive to cold/hot so I had them taken out, got temporaries, got those temporaries taken out, and now finally have the real fillings back in my mouth. I don't know how many times I got that thick needle injected into my mouth. :(

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Go to the dentist before you get an infection that spreads to the bone and makes you wish you were dead.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
remember that thread about the guy who took out his own tooth...go for it if he can do it so can you!!

post pics :p

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
take a womans ice skate, put the back edge up against the tooth. Take a big ass rock and close your eyes. Slam rock agaist the skate and when you wake up several hours later for pain induced unconscienes your tooth ache will be gone.

works everytime, just got to have the nuts to try it.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Drop a 19" monitor on your foot. You'll be so consumed by the pain in your foot that you'll forget all about your tooth. ;)

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
Tootaches can be a killer. OTC stuff like Ambesol work temporarily. If you don't have that, crush aspirin in just a bit of water in a teaspoon to make a paste. Apply the paste liberally to the tooth. Good luck!

jst0ney

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2003
Go see a dentist. Trust me. I'm a senior dental student who let a tooth go sensitive too long and I will always regret it because I should know better. The tooth was a little sensitive to cold water but since I was so busy with school I didn't get a new restoration. Then the left side of my face started to hurt overnight. I thought it was muscle related (I clench when stressed and I have national boards coming up) and spoke with our schools TMJ-disorder expert. I went ahead with therapy but over the next week the pain got worse and worse, so bad in fact that vicodin didn't do anything. X-rays didn't show anything. 8 days from the start of the pain I woke up with the left side of my face blown up with a huge infection of the submandibular and sublingual spaces. Luckily it was unilateral or didn't go back to my pharynx which would require immediate intabation and a couple of days in the hosiptal. So in breif my treatment was: 900mg antibiotic by IV followed by 2 weeks of oral antibiotics (clindamycin for those who care) and a root canal followed by a crown. This will all cost me $1400 at student prices and would be well over $2000 in a private practice. This all most likely could have been avoided if I had gotten a restoration 8 months previous (when the sensitivity started).

Don't take tooth sensitivity lightly. Dental infections are serious and can be life threatening. If the infection spread faster it could have shut off my airway overnight. Needless to say I feel pretty foolish about all of this eapecially becasue I'm going to be a dentist in 3 months but people always say the doctors are in the poorest health becasue they try to go too long while hurt. Well I quess I proved that.