Question Anyone have/had MSI GAMING X 1050ti? If so, is it a good card?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm buying a GPU as a present for someone who's pc is too old for 1650 etc, and Gigabyte and MSI are pretty much the only ones selling 1050ti new. The MSI GAMING X looks like it has good build quality/features; just wondering if anyone's actually had one over time and if it held up, works well with Windows10. Is for a child so won't be being overclocked or anything; don't want it to have issues after install and I'm not there.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Really, any of the 'Gaming X' models for a variety of GPUs are all top-tier, I own a GTX 1660ti 'Gaming X', and it's a solid, cool-running card.

That said, this is a GTX 1050ti that we're talking about here; it's not exactly a thermally or power-demanding GPU. (Most models are slot-powered, they even make passive ones.)

You're WAAAY over-thinking / overly-concerned when it comes to this class of cards. Price is more of a factor than cooling, and whether you need only slot-powered or not. ('Gaming X' models tend to be designed for overclocking, so the gaming x model is unlikely in my mind to be only slot-powered, whereas a gigabyte or zotac ITX single-fan model probably is.)

Edit: Having looked at the exact cards in question that you linked, the Gigabyte is only slot-powered, whereas the MSI gaming x takes a 6-pin PCI-E, and is probably more-designed for OCing, though it doesn't have to be.

Does your PSU have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, or in the worst case, a free SATA power lead that could be adapted? If you do, I would probably get the gaming x myself, as it is the more premium model, but if you don't have a 6-pin, then I guess the gigabyte should be your choice, though not necessarily an inferior one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Really, any of the 'Gaming X' models for a variety of GPUs are all top-tier, I own a GTX 1660ti 'Gaming X', and it's a solid, cool-running card.

That said, this is a GTX 1050ti that we're talking about here; it's not exactly a thermally or power-demanding GPU. (Most models are slot-powered, they even make passive ones.)

You're WAAAY over-thinking / overly-concerned when it comes to this class of cards. Price is more of a factor than cooling, and whether you need only slot-powered or not. ('Gaming X' models tend to be designed for overclocking, so the gaming x model is unlikely in my mind to be only slot-powered, whereas a gigabyte or zotac ITX single-fan model probably is.)

Edit: Having looked at the exact cards in question that you linked, the Gigabyte is only slot-powered, whereas the MSI gaming x takes a 6-pin PCI-E, and is probably more-designed for OCing, though it doesn't have to be.

Does your PSU have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, or in the worst case, a free SATA power lead that could be adapted? If you do, I would probably get the gaming x myself, as it is the more premium model, but if you don't have a 6-pin, then I guess the gigabyte should be your choice, though not necessarily an inferior one.
Yes, I believe it does have a 6pin, & while it wouldn't be OC--probably just set it at gaming mode. Good to know the Gaming X line is a bit more premium. I'm sure the Gigabyte would be ok as well, but think am settling in on the MSI.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I have that one in my list, but lots of neg- reviews and difficult customer service--don't think I'd put much expectations in a mail in rebate; but will keep it in mind, Thanks.
Actually, just going by reviews the Gigabyte 1050ti (single fan, not OC model) has lowest incidence of problems; now if it went on sale like the Asus I'd probably get it.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, if the dual-fan Gigabyte card was discounted, that would probably put it above the Asus Pheonix card in my pick list.

The MSI Gaming X though, even if a little bit more expensive, should be a really safe choice as far as running cool and having good longevity. (If you have a 6-pin available.)

Honestly, most of these lower-end cards aren't going to pose too much of a cooling or power problem, in general.

I do, however, personally prefer dual-fan models over single-fan.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Yeah, if the dual-fan Gigabyte card was discounted, that would probably put it above the Asus Pheonix card in my pick list.

The MSI Gaming X though, even if a little bit more expensive, should be a really safe choice as far as running cool and having good longevity. (If you have a 6-pin available.)

Honestly, most of these lower-end cards aren't going to pose too much of a cooling or power problem, in general.

I do, however, personally prefer dual-fan models over single-fan.
I do too, just that model was single fan; the dual fan Gigabytes are all OC models. Just based on reviews that non-oc one had fewest issues. Will give it another day, doesn't look like any new sales are forthcoming. MSI card has added bonus of looking cool being that it's a present for a child :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You're WAAAY over-thinking
Really. There's not any serious thermal or power-related build issues with cards that can nominally run off of slot power. Don't worry so much about it. Get a decent dual-fan card, when it's discounted. Like the MSI Gaming X, currently. And as you mentioned, it does look "pretty cool".

If they were more available, and back down to $150, because you have at least a 6-pin PCI-E power cable available, I would have probably looked for an RX 470/480/570/580/590 card. Unfortunately, those are close to $200, and you're almost better-off getting an (*8GB variant) RX 5500XT card, for the same or even cheaper. (The aforementioned RX cards are 14nm or possibly 12nm GPU dies nowadays, whereas the RX5500XT is, I believe, 7nm like the 5600XT and 5700XT cards.)

Edit: To remind myself that you may be dealing with an OEM system with a BIOS GPU whitelist, which may not allow for newer AMD cards, many / most of which prefer a UEFI mainboard BIOS.

Something like that RX 5500XT MSI Gaming X card, that has a $10 promo, making it $209.99.

I would e-mail MSI support and/or check their FAQ pages, to see if it will work on a PC with a "Legacy BIOS" and/or whitelist.

Edit: I should probably clarify why I'm suggesting a RX 5500XT 8GB card. The reason is, the 1050ti 4GB cards, are actually pretty weak cards these days. If the child in question ever wants to play something more demanding than Fortnite, and even then, they may want a more powerful card, for 1080P. The real claim-to-fame for the GTX 1050 ti 4GB cards, is that they are mostly kind-of-playable in games of the era when that was released (a number of year ago), and was slot-powered, so it would work in OEM PCs. Which seems to match with your need. Although, BIOS-permitting, if you have a 6-pin PCI-E cable, which can be converted without much issue to an 8-pin if necessary, it would generally be a better choice to go with a more powerful card.

Look up the benchmarks on TPU (TechPowerUp), for 1080P average, on the RX 5500XT review. If they even have the GTX 1050ti 4GB card on those charts, it will be WAY at the bottom. Like 45% or lower, I'm guessing off-hand, to the RX 5550XT. Maybe 55-60%.

Yeah, lowest card(s) that they show on the chart, are GTX 1650 4GB, and GTX 1060 3GB, both of which are argueably somewhat more powerful than that GTX 1050 ti 4GB cards.

If you have already determined that the GTX 1050 ti 4GB is going to fit your needs, and meets the requirements of your OEM BIOS whitelist, then look no further, I suppose. Just pick out one of them that looks nice, is cheap, and has dual-fans, and keep in mind the possible need for a PCI-E 6-pin connector (as for the MSI Gaming X model).

Last edited:
Reactions: prtskg and Leeea

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Really. There's not any serious thermal or power-related build issues with cards that can nominally run off of slot power. Don't worry so much about it. Get a decent dual-fan card, when it's discounted. Like the MSI Gaming X, currently. And as you mentioned, it does look "pretty cool".

If they were more available, and back down to $150, because you have at least a 6-pin PCI-E power cable available, I would have probably looked for an RX 470/480/570/580/590 card. Unfortunately, those are close to $200, and you're almost better-off getting an (*8GB variant) RX 5500XT card, for the same or even cheaper. (The aforementioned RX cards are 14nm or possibly 12nm GPU dies nowadays, whereas the RX5500XT is, I believe, 7nm like the 5600XT and 5700XT cards.)

Edit: To remind myself that you may be dealing with an OEM system with a BIOS GPU whitelist, which may not allow for newer AMD cards, many / most of which prefer a UEFI mainboard BIOS.

Something like that RX 5500XT MSI Gaming X card, that has a $10 promo, making it $209.99.

I would e-mail MSI support and/or check their FAQ pages, to see if it will work on a PC with a "Legacy BIOS" and/or whitelist.

Edit: I should probably clarify why I'm suggesting a RX 5500XT 8GB card. The reason is, the 1050ti 4GB cards, are actually pretty weak cards these days. If the child in question ever wants to play something more demanding than Fortnite, and even then, they may want a more powerful card, for 1080P. The real claim-to-fame for the GTX 1050 ti 4GB cards, is that they are mostly kind-of-playable in games of the era when that was released (a number of year ago), and was slot-powered, so it would work in OEM PCs. Which seems to match with your need. Although, BIOS-permitting, if you have a 6-pin PCI-E cable, which can be converted without much issue to an 8-pin if necessary, it would generally be a better choice to go with a more powerful card.

Look up the benchmarks on TPU (TechPowerUp), for 1080P average, on the RX 5500XT review. If they even have the GTX 1050ti 4GB card on those charts, it will be WAY at the bottom. Like 45% or lower, I'm guessing off-hand, to the RX 5550XT. Maybe 55-60%.

Yeah, lowest card(s) that they show on the chart, are GTX 1650 4GB, and GTX 1060 3GB, both of which are argueably somewhat more powerful than that GTX 1050 ti 4GB cards.

If you have already determined that the GTX 1050 ti 4GB is going to fit your needs, and meets the requirements of your OEM BIOS whitelist, then look no further, I suppose. Just pick out one of them that looks nice, is cheap, and has dual-fans, and keep in mind the possible need for a PCI-E 6-pin connector (as for the MSI Gaming X model).
I'm vaguely familiar with the RX5500XT; when I was building my new pc was going to go with an AMD mobo but needed mini-itx and the old one was out of stock and the new one wasn't in yet. Considered the 5500XT to pair up with the new pci-3 4.0 but ended up going with Intel.
He doesn't like high action/FPS etc; more creative, hmm sandbox style games if I had to pigeonhole them, so it's really the graphics more than speed. Most of the Steam games he'd be interested in reference the GTX660 for graphics and the 1050ti meets those requirements. If there's some fantastic sale today things may go differently--and if I go with the MSI 1050ti I will bring my new CX650 during Christmas in case I'm wrong about the 6 pin--or if the spirit of the season strikes me maybe just gift him that too as am kinda concerned about the 8yr old oem PSU giving out. Will look around, see if any sales today but not looking like much of a Black Friday so far.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm vaguely familiar with the RX5500XT; when I was building my new pc was going to go with an AMD mobo but needed mini-itx and the old one was out of stock and the new one wasn't in yet. Considered the 5500XT to pair up with the new pci-3 4.0 but ended up going with Intel.
He doesn't like high action/FPS etc; more creative, hmm sandbox style games if I had to pigeonhole them, so it's really the graphics more than speed. Most of the Steam games he'd be interested in reference the GTX660 for graphics and the 1050ti meets those requirements. If there's some fantastic sale today things may go differently--and if I go with the MSI 1050ti I will bring my new CX650 during Christmas in case I'm wrong about the 6 pin--or if the spirit of the season strikes me maybe just gift him that too as am kinda concerned about the 8yr old oem PSU giving out. Will look around, see if any sales today but not looking like much of a Black Friday so far.
Pulled the trigger, the MSI was on sale so that was fortuitous: and if I get the mail in rebate ttl $135 :)

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I just put the GTX1060 in the 8300 for my daughter. The PSU had dual 6 pin so I had to use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter so you should be fine.

Reactions: Coyle