Anyone have experiences with CPU RMA through Intel?

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
I sent in my faulty i7 4790k to Intel for RMA, it arrived Monday according to tracking and was signed for by someone. It still hasn't showed up in their system which worries me. You'd think it be processed on receipt, no? Whats the longest any of you waited for an Intel RMA to show up in their system?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I also sent in a dead 4790K, and the process was pretty smooth. I got back a new in the box 4790K. I believe it took just over a week total time.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
I also sent in a dead 4790K, and the process was pretty smooth. I got back a new in the box 4790K. I believe it took just over a week total time.
Nice, well I hope mine gets here fast, I'm so impatient!!
How did yours die, just stopped posting?
I built my system this past winter with all used componants, had so many weird issues from the start, mostly where the computer would constantly turn on to black screen, no post, beep, etc. Then down the road the computer just started powering off randomly. Sometimes going into reboot cycle. Replaced everything including building system out of case to rule out shorts. Ruled down to CPU now. :(

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Mine worked fine for about 9 months, I think. Then it wouldn't post. Z97A board had the red CPU light on. I swapped in an i3-4360 and she fired right up. I put the 4790K in a B85 board that originally had the i3 in it, and it wouldn't post, either. So I had to conclude that it was a failed 4790K. The replacement 4790K is still going strong.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
Still waiting to hear if they processed my CPU. Not too happy that they can't confirm that it's in their system.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I wonder if new 4790K chips for RMA cases are somewhat scarce now? I hope not, but I do wonder. I know we can still easily buy them, but I don't think that's the same.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
The new retail 4790k's are still for sale on Newegg, either way I'll take new or refurb because I don't have a computer right now!! :(
Just can't beleive I can't get updates on where my CPU is. I at least have a signature confirmation and receipt of shipping with address. Intel support gives me generic answers.
But still I sent something valued around $300 and would like to be informed where it is. Whats going on with them??

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
Yeah, I have open case with ticket number. Doesn't say its "received" or anything like that. The support person just says when it's received that I'll get UPS confirmation within like 3-7 days or something when new cpu ships out.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
Ok, I found the RMA status, it just says "Acknowledged By Depot" and says it hasn't been received yet, even though it was delivered last week. Really sketched out by this.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
Called and nagged again this morning, talked to Cesar. Later this afternoon the CPU was marked as received and later got a shipping notification. Looks like a new CPU as it has different FPO/Serial number. Really hoping this new CPU fixes my issues.

builtospill1

Aug 12, 2016
Got brand new replacement CPU this morning, computer still shuts off randomly and will often turn on to black screen with blinking cursor, no post, if I restart computer it boots fine.
Already replaced motherboard and power supply, anyone know what else I should do?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Got brand new replacement CPU this morning, computer still shuts off randomly and will often turn on to black screen with blinking cursor, no post, if I restart computer it boots fine.
Already replaced motherboard and power supply, anyone know what else I should do?

RAM, video card, hard drive or anything else you haven't replaced already.

Pull everything non-essential, and add stuff back in one at a time until you find the issue.

Also, you might want to let this post die as it's not now related to your CPU or overclocking. You might want to create a new thread in either computer help or general hardware for better help.