Anyone have any luck selling used stuff at amazon?

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Most noteably books and such? We have a crapload of books around our house, and garage sales (tag sales for those of you back east :) ) just never seem to attract book buyers. I wondered if anyone had luck using Amazons used book system?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
sluggo, online sales follow the old real estate adage of "Location et al."

basically, AFAIK exposure is not as great on amazon. ebay is #1 by far, but every service has its constraints to their operating policies and exposure.

if you have to sell it, i would do ebay, not because they are the best, but because they have the most visitors

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I was just hoping that people still thought of Amazon for books on-line and they will show the used stuff right up with the new stuff.

Most stuff I would ebay, but I wondered if Amazon had better luck with used books.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
your thoughts are not unfounded, but most of the word association in regard to selling stuff is at ebay. i've lost a small fortune through the holes (read abyss) in their policies, but on a general level, you will have more luck there.

normajean

Apr 22, 2001
I've sold a crap load of books, but you always have to be the best price and that could devalue the book fast. don't expect alot for popular books either, sometimes as low as .50, but I guess thatis what you get at a garage sale.
amazon takes a cut of the profit, but give you a set shipping allowance like half.com so sometimes you can make more than a listed price depending on shipping fees.
I've had good luck with half.com too. no listing fees either but they taka a commission too.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Maybe I should just donate them to a local school or something and nab the tax break.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Don't list on ebay unless it's a book you're absolutely sure is in high/moderate demand. You aren't likely to get many, if any, bids even with low prices; after you pay for listing/relisting/closing/online payment fees, you aren't likely to make any real money. Much better to list on half.com, since there's no listing fees. You might find some books wont sell for many years even with competitive pricing.