Anyone have any experience with Toshiba CS ?

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
I am thinking about getting Toshiba M55-S135.
I thought for the price, the specs are pretty good.

But after some reading, I saw a lot of complains about Toshiba customer service.
A lot of them came from malfunctioning lappy & Toshiba long service (or no service at all). It seems that the built quality is not that great. Anyone has any problem with Toshiba ? either customer service or built quality ?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I've had excellent build quality in my old tecra, and worked excellently in the tropics :)

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I'd stay away from Sony/HP/Compaq.

Get IBM/Dell/Toshiba. They are generally the better ones. The IBM's rock but are pricey. Dells are great, just read about the particular model you are getting and make sure to get the 3-year warranty.

I've had 3 Dell lappys...never any trouble besides one toasted HD and Dell had me a new one on my doorstep the next day.

Aug 25, 2004
I'm posting from a Toshiba Satellite that I bought back in August 2002. I've chugged it all over campus and flown with it all over the world since then (posting from Asia right now). I have no experience with their customer service, because I never needed it. I had to visit the support website once for drivers, and I found what I needed inside ten minutes.

I'll recommend IBMs and Toshibas anyday. You could buy a Dell, but go for extended warranty. Please stay away from HP/Compaq. And avoid Sony... I've seen way too many Sonys burn out in the last few years.

$0.02

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
Thanks everybody.

RossMAN,
I like HP DV series too. I was considering either DV4000 or DV1000 since hpshopping have them for $750 AR (basic celery config).
But CC B&M have this Toshiba for $599 AR (+ tax) and the lappy is pretty loaded.
I've dealt with HP service before and it was a good experience.

My config with HP is :

DV4000 for $750 AR (maybe $700 if I sell the free printer + fatcash)
Intel Celeron M360 1.4GHz
15.4 Brightview
256MB Memory
40GB 4200 RPM HD
DVD/CDRW drive
54G w/ 125HSM WiFi

Toshiba M55-S135 for $675 AR incl. tax
Intel Celeron M370 1.5GHz
Trubrite 14'' WXGA
80 g 5400 rpm hd
512 mb memory (maybe 1 DIMM)
802.11 b/g Atheros wireless
Super DVD+/-R Drive

Which one would you choose ? screen size matter less than price to me, I picked DV4000 since it is the same price with DV1000 right now.

Mickey Eye

Apr 14, 2005
Never had a problem with my Toshiba Satellite until the screen got cracked in transit. The new Satellites seem pretty decent too. Not had much experience with other brands except an HP that was pretty got build quality wise (while it was pretty old).

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Toshiba Satellite that I bought in March. Haven't contacted customer service as I haven't had a need to.

HP's customer service is the worst I've ever worked with. I was trying to help my father sort out problems with an order last year. He ordered in September. Come January, he was still trying to get them to do anything to fix their errors. They just flat out refused to do anything more than talk about the problem.

Nov 7, 2000
both my mom and I have low-end satellites for almost a year, no problems with either
recommended a tecra to my ex a couple years ago, its still going strong
buddy got a high-end satellite about 3 years ago, its had no problems as well

so, no experience with CS, but ill recommend the brand for sure

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
i had a toshiba m35-s320 for about a year in college. loved it and never had any problems with it until i sold it for a 12" powerbook

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
Thanks for the replies.
Looks good so far. I guess I'll go with the Toshiba since it has more features for less.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
See my sig for specs on my Toshiba lappy...

I had my HDD go bad, so I called Toshiba CS to get it replaced under warranty. Got some Indian guy on the phone. I told him the deal, chkdsk was freezing after finding huge numbers of bad sectors, S.M.A.R.T. was indicating that the drive was bad, etc., but the guy still wanted me to try using the restore CD before even talking about getting a new drive. Hung up, called in again, got another Indian guy. Told him the deal, this time adding that I had tried using the restore CD. I was then told that the warehouse or whatever was undergoing inventory, and to call back next week to arrange shipment. Called back, another Indian guy, finally got the replacement authorized. They wanted me to send in my entire laptop, not just the drive. Fine, I was just happy to get it over with. They sent me a box, I sent in my lappy, they sent it back two days later with a new drive.

You decide whether that was good or bad CS... :D

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
My wife purchased a Toshiba Satellite almost two years ago and she has had no problems with it. I've used it quite a bit as well and it seems like a fine lappy!

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
I've had my Toshiba Satellite for just over two years, and it's still going strong. I've never needed to call CS.