Anyone have any experience with a foodsaver?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Do you or your parents own one of these things? You know the vacuum sealing appliance. How good are they? Does any of the juices from whatever you are packaging up get sucked into the machine?

KK

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
my family has one. it works just like on the commercial and no, it does not suck up the juices..only the air.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
you can reuse the plastic bags..but they get smaller each time you use them. and you can use other plastics but it won't work as well...but you can at least seal them up. like chip bags you can seal up but not suck out the air.

if you really want it to work you should use THEIR bags.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
thanks weezer for the info. I was looking at amazon at the reviews and also at epinions, some people there indicating that they would have to partially freeze the meat before vacuuming as the blood and stuff would get sucked out if they didn't. Did you have to do that?

KK

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
i saw the commercial. looks too much of a hassle to vacuum save your food, everytime you eat something

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
I have one, and when I've used it, it's been great. However, I have not much use for it now that I'm not doing any food storage.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
thanks weezer for the info. I was looking at amazon at the reviews and also at epinions, some people there indicating that they would have to partially freeze the meat before vacuuming as the blood and stuff would get sucked out if they didn't. Did you have to do that?

KK
I have one, as well. It actually works great!

As previously stated, it's a bit loud, and their bags are the only ones that work very well. And it's never sucked up anything but air, that I've seen.
We use ours a lot, until we run out of bags. Then it kind of sits in the cupboard for a while, until we buy bags again.

It's an awesome tool if you are one of those who buys meat in bulk to freeze. Or pretty much anything in bulk, for that matter.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
The one I linked to will use most any bag, but they also sell bags MUCH cheaper than the TV brand.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Costco B&M sells a vacuum sealer package which comes with the vacuum, some jar attachments and A LOT of bags for like $189.