Anyone have an online savings account?

midnight growler

May 8, 2005
I have enough money in my checking account that I can take a chunk of it and do something with it. But I don't have any that I can afford to lose so no investing/bitcoins. This also is my rainy day/emergency fund so CDs are out as well. I'm looking at online savings accounts and according to Nerdwallet there are a few accounts giving 1.35-1.3% and that is obviously better than anything available in regular banks.

Anyone have any experience with online savings accounts? How important is having an ATM card for these accounts?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I wouldn't completely count out CDs. I'm not sure about regular banks, but at credit unions CD penalties are generally just on the interest - you can't lose the money you put in. In one case I've also seen "priority certificates", where you can take out some money once without penalty.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Bank, credit union, online savings account I would check and make sure they are covered by their respective insurance providers (FDIC or NCUA). You might want to take a look at this list and see if anything works for you with the various APYs and requirements:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

I know in MI there are several decently sized local\regional banks offering ~1.3% with less effort than many of the higher APY options listed in that link so you might want to check around a bit

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I have several depending on who has the best rate. I only keep enough for average recurring expenses in checking. No reason to need an ATM or immediate access for savings.

Can also look into no penalty CDs. Ally and CIT Bank have 11 month terms, think 1.49 and 1.45% respectively last I checked. (Ok now I checked, 1.55% for CIT, only $1k min, time to close and open a new one) Just opened a couple of these myself for the 6 month fund. Earns a fraction more than savings. Actually only have a few dollars in actual savings accounts now.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If you're talking sub 50k or so, there are better online checking accounts that can get you more APR than that. I have an online checking account through Discover that I like a lot - but I don't carry much of a balance in it.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
yeah I have one. I am talking about australia though. I was able to sign up online. Then I stash money in there and receive reasonable interest. The one I use is online only. Meaning they don't have any branches and I don't have any cards associated with the account. They are owned by the "traditional" bank I use. So nothing untoward.

EDIT: Mine has a credit rate of 1.81% that has stipulations on it though....

midnight growler

May 8, 2005
I'm hesitant about CDs because my car is old enough it could vote and eventually I will need to buy a replacement. I'm only looking to use $4,000 so liquidity is fairly important to me.

A checking account with usage requirements is tough for me also because most of my transaction are where I work with my store's payment card.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've been using online banks since 2005 when I was getting 5.5%. I was with HSBC for along time, but they started cutting back on their interest a lot and service.

I then moved to GE Capital, which sold to Goldman Sachs. I think I am around 1.35% right now. I like the product a lot, transfers are fast and easy, the interface is good, you can wire money into and out of the account, etc. With GS this isn't as necessary since the transfers are a lot quicker, but we have our paychecks go into a local checking account, pay our bills, then transfer the rest to GS. We leave about 1K in checking and about 5K in a local savings account, just in case. Any legit online bank will be FDIC insured, but be sure you check.

As far as ATMs go, I had a card with HSBC that I never used. You can only legally withdraw from a savings account 3 (or 5, can't remember) times a month. If you withdraw more than that a couple of times, they can close your account (true of ALL banks). So you shouldn't be using an ATM card against a savings account. Leave enough money in a local back that you would be covered for any large ATM draw.

The high interest checking accounts sound great, but most have a maximum account balance. So if you are over that max, your rates are terrible.

As an added perk, when you tell people that you have an account with Goldman Sachs they automatically think you are a baller. Even other banks. I did some work with some estate lawyers this year and even they acted impressed. ;)

Edit: If you are thinking about CDs have a look at US iBonds. Right now they are paying out 2.65%, but you have to hold them for a year and you can only buy $10pp/yr.

midnight growler

May 8, 2005
I think I remember reading the standard is 6 withdrawals per month, but that is something I will obviously look at for each bank.

I read somewhere having an ATM card makes the transfer process faster but I'm not sure how much this would affect it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
If the balances are under $25k - $30k and you can jump through a few hoops, I would highly recommend a credit union high yield checking account.

http://www.bankrate.com/banking/checking/bankrates-2016-high-yield-checking-survey-credit-unions/

Google "your city or county name credit union high yield checking account"
I thought bank rate.com was dead? All those links are from 18 months ago.
Looks like it was finally updated or resurrected.

I seem to remember that last year or before there was
no new info there for awhile, so I started going to deposit account.com for info.

For more up-to-date CD and interest info:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/rates/

CD rates:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/cd/

Savings accounts:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/savings/

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
$4k? The only interesting return you'll get on that is with risky investments. I'd put it in a coffee can. Can't get more liquid than that.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
My wife and I are house hunting and we have been stashing away cash for a down payment in an online savings account. Getting something like 1.2%.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I think I remember reading the standard is 6 withdrawals per month, but that is something I will obviously look at for each bank.

I read somewhere having an ATM card makes the transfer process faster but I'm not sure how much this would affect it.

6 withdrawals, it's a Federal banking regulation (Regulation D). It will be consistent across US Federally-insured banks.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I've got my emergency fund in an Ally online savings account. I think the APY is up to 1.25% now. I didn't sign up for the debit card; I just wanted the account. I've got bank to bank transfers with my BoA checking account, so I can easily and quickly move money when I need to.

The rest of my cash sits in checking (<$10k) until I either invest it or just do nothing with it. Outside of investing, the <1.5% you get on your cash really doesn't add up to anything significant.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Heh, it won't last. They were just drumming up business. The terms state they can change the interest rate as soon as you sign up.

The Fine Print
  • Rates are subject to change after the account is open.
Also, a ton of requirements that meant you'd never have any money in it.