Anyone have a single board computer ?

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
You know, the ones that are about $140 and have a ARM processor in them? Is it worth it ?

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: notfred
I do, it's made by IBM and weighs around 6 lbs.

Yeah I think confused had something like that and another guy I know IRL has one of the Cyyy erm something Cymix Cyrix or something like that, anyway it performs ok'ish for basic things like winamp and browsing etc and all the other usual crap, but try to play a game on it, encode or decode anything or even just try to have too many programs open at once and I remember him saying the stability drops completely (my other friend that is).

PM Confused though, he likes to play around with his carputer so he has a lot of knowledge of those freaky deaky midget machines.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
You're talking about something like a biscuit board. Some are the size of a CDROM drive. Most are used for specific applications, which is great if they work for what you want.

For small form factor, low power, x-86 stuff, the Epia boards are pretty darn good.

Confused

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
You can get ITX or ECS L7VMM3 w/ solder-in processor.

Upgrade is no go with them and the components are a generation or two behind. However, they are compact such as the ITX board -- you can get them with LCD monitor that is not much bigger than a cigarette pack. And, the smaller you go the higher the cost. 2+ years ago I use to built embeded firewall systems that cost $250.00 to $700.00 with disk-on-chip (I don?t get to play around the more costly $1100-1200 systems), and they range between 225mhz to 700mhz with 32-256megs dimm (there are 1GB or greater size solid state mem that are quite expensive).

Disk-on-chip

Embeded EMJ Systems

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
this is the first time seeing the gumstix link. thats a pretty good xscale board for $200.

then again, i could just get a pda and program the pda instead.

Im personally waiting for the nano-itx boards to come out.