Anyone have a mortgage, or refinance, through ING direct?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I bet they don't include certain fees such as the appraisal, which can be pricey depending on where you live (mine cost $550 last year) and up front insurance, etc. Most mortgage companies require you to pay 12 months of insurance up front.... that can be $1-3K right there.

If it sounds too good to be true.....

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
But they're a pretty reputable bank and all, right?
I would think that one could trust them.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yes, but like I said, the closing costs I listed aren't bank fees.... they aren't connected, therefore don't have to be disclosed. Really, you could end up only paying $895 in closing costs to ING, but you may have to pay upto several thousand elsewhere like your insurance company.

It's like when you buy a car, you pay the dealer for car, but you still have to pay for the registration in your state. It's not a dealer fee, it's a fee that state charged to register the vehicle.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Higher interest rate. In general, 1 point of fee (= 1% of the loan amount) is equivalent to 0.25% interest rate.

And yeah, the $895 is the lender fee. Third-party fees, like title, escrow, appraisal, recording, etc., and recurring closing costs, like property taxes, homeowners insurance, etc. are still going to be incurred.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
you aren't losing much if you have to prepay the insurance? you will have to pay it anyway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Yes, but like I said, the closing costs I listed aren't bank fees.... they aren't connected, therefore don't have to be disclosed. Really, you could end up only paying $895 in closing costs to ING, but you may have to pay others several thousand.

It's like when you buy a car, you pay the dealer, but you still have to pay for the registration in your state. It's not a dealer fee, it's another fee altogether than the dealership has nothing to do with.

Exactly. Your property taxes and homeowners insurance are NOT a lender fee.

Your car analogy is excellent too. I hate it when people talk about OTD (or "out the door" price), because taxes and registration not only vary by state, but they're also a non-negotiable part of the transaction.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I thought I remembered INGs mortgage being adjustable rate as well.

Edit: Yeah, looks its a 5/1 ARM. 6.25? Whoop dee shit, local banks show fixed 6.375 right now.